Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another d@mn bad dog-owner

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:57 pm

2_Salukis wrote:
In the meantime, their two dogs come back up the trail and immediately get a warning from our two to keep their distance. A clueless "I didn't know Salukis were aggressive" from her was next. It's all I could do to give a civil reply along the lines of, "they're not, except when they've just been attacked by your Jack Russell."

Yeah, I'm a big time dog person, and I don't even mind people having their pets off leash (though mine is leashed 95% of the time)... But some people lack common sense.

This isn't 14'er related, but another case-in-point:

I'm at the local off-leash dog park the other day with my 10-month old German Shepherd/Akita mix puppy. My dog loves everything... people, dogs, cats, children, squirels (yeah, she chases them in the back yard, but when she cornered one once she stood there wagging her tail, then rolled over on her back trying to play with it).

Anyway, an aggressive Austraillian Shepherd kept approaching my dog at the dog park, growling the whole time... Naturally, my dog stands there wagging her tail, then the Aussie snaps at her on two seperate approaches. My good-natured, well socialized pup just takes these first two advances/snaps in stride. She even almost whimpered that the other dog wouldn't play ball with her (my dog likes to toss her ball up in the air, then play "chase" with the other dogs... funny really).

Later, this dog approaches again and literally comes up and bites my dog on the snout!!! It was like flipping a switch... My dog had it with the abuse at this point, and floored this Aussie in a split second. I run in and grab her out of a dog fight that she was obviously about to violently win (for the record, I've learned that pulling a dog backwards by it's hind legs works well for ending most of these fights).

My dog immediately de-escalates the situation, and looks for a new friend to play with... I put her on the leash and start to walk to a different side of the park. The other snarling/snapping/lip raised-teeth-showing dog is yanking at it's collar trying to re-engage my dog in a fight while the owner stands there saying "oh, gee, are you okay... did that mean dog hurt you"!!!

Worst part: Owner says "you know you have to be careful with large aggressive dogs like yours so that they don't get hurt when another dog decides to fight it...babble babble babble, more of how it is my fault, etc"

I'm practically standing there blinking at this point, all the while thinking "yeah, lady, next time I'll just let 'em go rounds if you'd prefer"... unbelievable!

This is probably the same kind of idiot you folks have had bad encounters with on the trail. This poorly socialized dog shouldn't have ever been off a leash, and shouldn't ever be at a dog park!!!

But, hey, it must be my fault since my dog is bigger?

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:36 pm

del_sur wrote: I heard it said once that the gap between say, Nietschze or Aristotle and the average person is probably far greater than that between the average person and a chimp.

But what about 100 chimps typing for 10,000 years? It is said they will produce the works of Shakespeare.

Can you?
Last edited by longmonster on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 pm

del_sur wrote: physical violence is never acceptable. If a dog tries to bite, it's open season until he backs off.

This is a classic catch-22.

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:39 pm

del_sur wrote: the worst bite I've suffered was from a Yorkie...

&*&%$# Englismen, eh?

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:42 pm

william thompson wrote: IF THE OWNER HAS A PROBLEM I WILL DO THE SAME TO THEM!

bad dog

Postby icenrock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Last winter I encountered a man an woman with a dog going up mt. evans road. The was off leash growling and acting much like it was going to bite! after a heated exchange with the owners, I decided they could find out about the slide hazzard around the conner like I found out about thier nasy dog! I let it supprise them!!!!

Re: bad dog

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:26 pm

icenrock wrote: I let it supprise them!!!!

This is not the place for confessions.

Postby V8Notch » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57 am

Wow! Some people are nuts.

A person cannot simply flick a dog away when it attacks. A dog can kill a person. I think this is the major point.

Because of this I think it is the owners resposibilty to make sure they don't put the dog or other people in this situation. People without dogs should not have to be trained dog handlers because they want to go hiking. That is making ME take reponsibity for YOUR dog, that YOU chose to bring to a PUBLIC place. I chose to go to a public place where I have the right to be safe.

Pretend a dog is a gun, why should anyone but the owner be responsible for it. It's like me leaving a loaded gun on the bench when taking a break. Your kid picks it up and shoots himself in the foot or worse in the head. "Oh, geez sorry about that, I guess your kid should have known how to handle a gun, I mean we are allowed to carry them."

Owners should be responsible for their dog, no ifs, ands or buts. People should not have to change their outing because someone brings their dog because it's their "right". Peoples space and safety come before a dogs right to enjoy a hiking trail.

If a dog bites someone it should be put down, no questions. I don't care if it's fluffy little toto or kujo. And don't get me wrong, I love dogs and grew up with them but I understand that they can be dangerous and when they don't want to listen, they won't or it's too late.

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:48 pm

V8Notch wrote:Wow! Some people are nuts.

And yet others are described as fruits.

Postby longmonster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:05 pm

V8Notch wrote: Pretend a dog is a gun,

No, this opens a pandora's box of issues including morphed constitutional rights.

Postby grizz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Nuts and fruit, my favorite!

If a dog attacks check his or her oil. It should let go of you, if not, then you have something on the owner.

JK :)
Colorado Native

Postby 14ergirl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:07 pm

jspydr wrote:
I had several close encounters as a kid too, and will not be a victim of someone else's irresponsibility. I always carry a knife on my person, hiking or otherwise. I'll be dang'd if I let my kids get bit by a dog who's 'never bit anyone before.' If it latches on to me, I'll be the last person it ever bites.

Geezzzz mister! I love the religous quote at the bottom of your pretty aggressive post here. :? This is ridiculous! I am all for responsible pet owners so maybe it's the pet owners you should take the knife to.

To everyone out there who has had a bad experience with dogs and hasn't gotten over it, maybe you guys should get some counseling, talk through your feelings and fear and then get put on some meds. Sorry I am sure I just pissed some people off, but most dogs are harmless and if you don't act scared of them, they won't bite you! Let me reiterate though that if a dog bites it is, 99.9% of the time, the owners fault. I have always kept my dogs on a leash because they aren't the best behaved dogs, but I just got a puppy and he is a lab mix who loves everyone and every dog. I will have him off leash where permitted and if someone isn't comfortable with him I will leash him, but I will still think that person needs some kind of psychiatric evaluation! I feel sorry for a person who can't be friends with "man's best friend".

PreviousNext