La Plata Dall Sheep

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bigtruckerman
Trip Reports (0)

La Plata Dall Sheep

Post by Bigtruckerman »

Had a Dall sheep chased me for two miles down the southwest ridge on La Plata! This guy was huge! We saw eye to eye, that's how big he was. He even charged me when I got close to the trees and thankfully I was able to jump behind the trees and this spooked him away for a little bit, then he followed me for about a mile thru the trees. This guy followed me from about 14,000 ft down to about 11,800 ft to give you an idea. I have never flew down a fourteener so fast before! How close was he to me it was about five feet. :)
jeffth5
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata Dall Sheep

Post by jeffth5 »

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Unless you were at the zoo, Dall sheep don't exist in Colorado.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I'm calling BS. First, obviously, there are no Dall Sheep in Colorado. Second, if maybe it was a mountain goat, I've never seen goats in the Sawatch. Somebody feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
KansanClimber
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (2)

Post by KansanClimber »

Scott P wrote:Unless you were at the zoo, Dall sheep don't exist in Colorado. Or is this an inside joke?
+1

Maybe he means a Bighorn?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” W. C. Fields
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Or a mountain goat
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Maybe it was a marmot dressed up in a Dall sheep costume?

Anyway, the only thing it could have been is a mountain goat, although I haven't seen them in that area. Mountain goats do occasionally follow people.

I have never seen a bighorn sheep follow anyone or (unlike goats) even want to be around people. La Plata doesn't seem like bighorn country either.

Unless this post is a joke, it almost certainly would have been a mountain goat. It seems strange to confuse a mountain goat for a Dall sheep though.

Dall sheep:

Mountain goat:

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Both white.

Both have horns.

Easy to mistake.

:mrgreen:
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I heard we recently did a trade with Alaska. 10 Mtn Goats for 15 Dall Sheep. It was a steal.
Trotter
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

SkaredShtles wrote:Both white.

Both have horns.

Easy to mistake.

:mrgreen:
I saw a bunch of dall sheep or mountain goats when in texas last week. Whole field full of em!!!111

After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Trotter
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Tory Wells wrote:I'm calling BS. First, obviously, there are no Dall Sheep in Colorado. Second, if maybe it was a mountain goat, I've never seen goats in the Sawatch. Somebody feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.
I've seen a very friendly mountain goat on Harvard. So they are there, but not as common as the front range for sure
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche