Never too young?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Never too young?

Post by Le Marmot »

Ran across this in the news since I'm at work instead of at the Fall Gathering. Pretty cool! Personally, I see no problem with it as long as they are having fun, SAFE. But I would like to know what everyone thinks of starting kidlets at such a young age.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... e-Whitney-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Never too young?

Post by Scott P »

A five year old has climbed Whitney, so he's not the youngest.

Anyway, I see no problem with starting kids early. Two or three is a good age to start doing some pretty good hikes.

By age 3, our son was doing 12 mile days, but our daughter did do that long of days until age five. Kids need to be active. Keeping kids sedentary is a true tragedy of modern days.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Never too young?

Post by AnnaG22 »

Gladbach's comment from this thread seems pertinent: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as the parents plan carefully (which I feel like they probably are if they're doing that with their kid)...heck yes. What a gift to give to your children.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried