Forum

Achievements & Goals

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Bogart » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:11 pm

My biggest goal is to summit Rainer. I am going to keep my biggest achievement to myself.

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 pm

1) Biggest achievement: Iztaccihuatl volcano in Mexico
2) Biggest goal: Aconcagua
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!

Postby Kojones » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:36 am

Skip Perkins wrote:Achievement: Ranier
Goals: 1-3 of the classic traverses

In a short time I'll just be happy to pee without pain so I figure I'd better go for the gusto. Thanks to this web site I have a new list of future brews to try. :oops:

Skip Perkins wrote:My new goal is to spell Rainier correctly.

Bogart wrote:My biggest goal is to summit Rainer. I am going to keep my biggest achievement to myself.

Lol... Skip, I think you need to take Bogart on the trek to that new goal. :D

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:53 am

Biggest 14er acheivement/embarassment/fun was summiting Wilson Peak after climbing the wrong damn mountain first. (thanks for making me go on, Honey!)

Biggest 14er goal is to live to climb at least one a year till I get the rest done BEFORE age 99.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Crass3000 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:52 am

Biggest achievement to date: Rainier

In the future I hope to summit (one or all): Denali, Kilimanjaro, Aconcaqua.

Postby thebear007 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:35 am

Biggest Achievement: Blanca Peak [14 years ago], Mt. Democrat, Bross, Cameron and Lincoln in the same day [July 4th, 2001]

Biggest Goals: Climb, summit and descend [Leadville-Vail area] eight 14-teeners in 4-5 days this Memorial Day weekend. Climb, summit and descend Mt. Rainier and other Cascade mountains this July 4th week. Early 2008 climb mexican volcanoes. May 2008 climb, summit and descend Denali. After that it is open.
The Year of 007

Postby Kojones » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:46 am

Duffus Kentucky Climber wrote:Biggest 14er acheivement/embarassment/fun was summiting Wilson Peak after climbing the wrong damn mountain first. (thanks for making me go on, Honey!)

Biggest 14er goal is to live to climb at least one a year till I get the rest done BEFORE age 99.

LOL... while I can't say I have ever climbed the wrong peak, I certainly hope not to with the list I have lined up for this coming season. Looking at the pictures and route descriptions makes me a little nervous about identifying the correct peak to aim for. (Not saying they are bad descriptions, Bill, but they are long hikes and some have a lot of trails that break off.)
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby RenoBob » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Achievement: Summiting Longs the second time, on my 50th birthday.
Goal: Kilimanjaro
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Beaker » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Achievement - Long's on first attempt (for any 14er)

Goal - Denali
You have a cough? Eat a whole box of Ex-Lax tonite, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Postby chealey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:30 pm

My biggest achievement (old guy answer) is that my daughters love to hike , and climb mountains, and will be summiting when I am too old to follow.
My biggest goal is to summit Capitol which has beaten me twice due to circumstances beyond my control.

Postby TK » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:57 pm

Goals: All 55 14ers, and all 175 summits in RMNP. I've gotten a few RMNP summits ticked, but will need to climb more frequently and just plain get out there if I plan on hitting that many summits. If I get over this illness I've been fighting for a while, I'll head out and climb one this week.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Floyd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 pm

Kojones wrote:
Duffus Kentucky Climber wrote:Biggest 14er acheivement/embarassment/fun was summiting Wilson Peak after climbing the wrong damn mountain first. (thanks for making me go on, Honey!)

LOL... while I can't say I have ever climbed the wrong peak, I certainly hope not to with the list I have lined up for this coming season. Looking at the pictures and route descriptions makes me a little nervous about identifying the correct peak to aim for. (Not saying they are bad descriptions, Bill, but they are long hikes and some have a lot of trails that break off.)

I as well have done the embarrassing deed of climbing the wrong peak. Tried for La Plata from West Winfield TH. Started before dusk and headed up the wrong drainage. Climbed to the top of the ridge and noticed the ridge to my west was leading higher than the one I was on, I do have the summit of point 13,683 due south of La Plata on my tick list! I'll stick with the standard route next time I attempt this one.

If anyone tried from this direction, climb the trail leading from the 4*4 road, not the one next to the sign-in board (for La Plata) with the gate.

PreviousNext