Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Achievements & Goals

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 am

Biggest mountaineering accomplishment: I guess it would be summiting Kit Carson in January last year, we attempted Rainier but had to turn around.

Mountaineering Goal: It changes a lot, I would have to say Aconcagua or Denali is about where I think I am headed. It would be nice to get an 8000m peak but I think logistically it will never happen even if I can do it physically.

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 am

The mountaineering accomplishment I'm probably most pleased with was the 9 days I spent in the Grenadier Range in July-August 1980.
My friend Mark and I backpacked to a campsite on Vestal Creek just below Vestal Peak. The next day we did the Wham "Ridge" and, although we had taken ropes, harnesses, pitons, etc., we never took that stuff out of our packs, feeling confident and secure on the solid quartzite.

We took a rest day the next day and eyed the NE ramp on Arrow. It looked like a good route so we climbed Arrow that way (on Day 4), once again not using the climbing gear we took with us. This is the standard route on Arrow now, but back then there just wasn't much information available on routes, especially anything under 14,000 ft. The only info we had was that the South ridge of Arrow was a class 5 climb. The ramp we took looked much more direct from camp so we chose it.

Mark's wife was expecting their first child in a week or two so Mark backpacked out on the 5th day. I headed out to climb Middle and West Trinity, having climbed East Trinity two weeks earlier. Since we'd had such great rock on the north slopes and faces I decided to give the North face of Middle Trinity a try. Once again, I found great holds, and just a few places where there was water running down the face. I traversed the ridge over to West Trinity, and then descended back to camp.

Day 6 saw me moving camp from the Vestal drainage to Leviathan Lake, where I planned on doing more climbing. On day 7 I did Leviathan Peak and Peak 6. A thunderstorm chased me up the last 500 ft. of the ridge on 6 and changed my plans to go on to Peak 7.

On day 8 I climbed Peak 7, then went back to camp and snoozed while it sprinkled in the afternoon. The weather cleared and, feeling very fit I decided to try and get up and down Vallecito Mountain before dark. Summiting at 6 in the evening (this was the latest time I'd ever climbed a mountain), I tuned my little transistor radio into a Montrose radio station, hearing a voice from another person for the first time in 4 days.

Time to go home on day 9 : ( so I packed up camp, went over the Peak 8-Trinity Pass, down to Balsam Lake, down Tenmile Creek to the Animas River. From there it was up the east side of the Animas to Elk Park to my last campsite.

On day 10 I caught the first train to Silverton, seeing other people for the first time in 5 days.

Goals: To see more of the many ranges in Colorado. Looking forward to more climbs in the Gore Range, RMNP and the southern Weminuche.
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)

Postby Brad » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:17 pm

1) Achievement: Pikes Peak via the Crags TH this past summer after just moving here.
2) Goal: Who really knows? I enjoy getting out and hiking and would like to strive for one summit a week someday.

Postby strat1080 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 am

Achievement: Belford, Oxford, and Missouri in the same day. That is about 7,500ft of elevation gain. I was pretty tired after doing that but it was a lot of fun.

Goal: To complete 1 of the 4 great 14er traverses. I have always wanted to do the Crestone traverse.

Postby mtnmike » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 am

Achievement - Capitol (after 3 tries) and Kilimanjaro

Goal - I know it's cliche, but I am going for the Seven Summits.
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby wsudhakar » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Hey! :D

1) solo climbing my 1st 14er in winter (Bierstadt). After April 11th, change that to climbing Long's via north face.

2) the mother of them all--Everest. But, for the short term, tackling as much of the Sawatch this summer as possible!

Great topic!

Postby Kevin Baker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:36 pm

1) accomplishment- Rainier via Emmons Glacier last year.

2) goal- 5 of the 7 summits (Everest and Vinson is way too much risk, $ for me), assuming my body does well above 14K. We'll find out next month on Kili!

Previous