Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Achievements & Goals

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Achievements & Goals

Postby Kojones » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Howdy all…

It seems to be a slow day on 14ers.com. Perhaps you all are out playing in the snow that is falling? I thought another interesting thread to start would be all about mountaineering goals and achievements. What are YOUR answers to the 2 questions below?

(1) What is your biggest mountaineering achievement :?:
(2) What is your biggest mountaineering goal :?:

Mine:
(1) In relative terms, my biggest achievement was bagging the summit of Elbert. This was my first 14er and boy did it feel good to get up there :D :!: Little did I know how much my feet would burn on the way down. While this was not the most difficult adventure I've had, it was the single thing that sparked my interest in seriously pursuing other peaks in Colorado and around the World.

(2) My biggest goal in the mountaineering scene is to summit (and descend) Everest. I remember when I was very little, I heard about this mysterious mountain where people go to fulfill their greatest goals. It was a forbidden place that I never thought I would be able to see for myself. I heard of people dying up there, and shortly after that I realized that when they died, they stayed there, forever preserved where they fell. Today, many years later, I see now that it is a possibility for me to be up there with the preserved climbers who had the same goal. I am willing, if needed, to cut this goal short and simply say I was on the deadly slopes of Everest and came back to talk about it. My goal holds one rule: I will not die after summiting. In my opinion, it is better to die on the mountain before summiting than after summiting, because that means there was more chance to make a better decision.
Last edited by Kojones on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Floyd » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 pm

(1) What is your biggest mountaineering achievement? Crestones w/o traverse in a day.

(2) What is your biggest mountaineering goal? Mt. Rainier

Postby sstrauss » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:26 pm

1) achievement: I would have to say Katahdin in the fog and sleet (you couldn't see 5 ft in front of you), and a bitter cold summit of Quandary in December 2005.

2) Goal: I agree with you Kojones, Everest is the "pinnacle". But for the time being, My goal is to complete all of the Sawatch/Mosquito range this summer. Along with getting some more winter mountain experience.
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby Daniel Trugman » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Not to kill the forum, but you can see both of these things in people's profiles. I don't really want this to turn into a bragging session, but whatever.

Achievements: Little Bear or the Bells

Goals: Rainier and Orizaba
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Postby Kojones » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:48 pm

Daniel Trugman wrote:Not to kill the forum, but you can see both of these things in people's profiles. I don't really want this to turn into a bragging session, but whatever.

Neither of the first 2 responses matched with the goals/accomplishments in their profile, so seems to be a good thing to get this out there. I just figured this would be fun for a snowy and cold day. If you don't like the idea of this thread, don't reply and ignore this thread in the future. If you find it to be a good thread, go ahead and reply and check back when there are new responses. Here's a chance to brag without people being obligated to listen like if you were standing right there in person.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Flatland Biker » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:28 pm

You Go KoJo...Good Thread. Good Idea. Don't listen to these kids like Thugman that don't have any respect yet. My biggest achievement was doing my first 14'er, Handies Peak. My biggest goal will probably be doing Longs Peak this Summer.
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby Skip Perkins » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:29 pm

Achievement: Ranier
Goals: 1-3 of the classic traverses

In a short time I'll just be happy to pee without pain so I figure I'd better go for the gusto. Thanks to this web site I have a new list of future brews to try. :oops:

Postby Skip Perkins » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:31 pm

My new goal is to spell Rainier correctly.

Postby alanlipkin » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Achievement: Ten summers ago, a year after turning forty and finally starting to exercise, summiting Grays Peak. After getting caught in a thunder storm atop Torreys later the same day, the second biggest achievement was making it back to the trailhead alive.

Goal: Would love to get to Machu Picchu some day.

http://www.entmds.com

Postby Aubrey » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:52 pm

Not sure what I'd classify as my biggest achievement (Longs? Harvard-Columbia combo?). I've had some tough ones, but nothing unsurmountable.

And as far as my biggest mountaineering goal, that bar is still being set. I'm just focusing on one to two years in advance, and enjoying the journey.

This year Kilimanjaro is on the radar. Next, maybe Rainier will be in the sights. After that, I can't say. All I know for sure is that more 14ers are on tap.

Kiefer

Re: Achievements & Goals

Postby Kiefer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:06 pm

(1) What is your biggest mountaineering achievement :?:
Summiting Crestone Peak via the Red Couloir and descending via the NW Couloir and ledges.

(2) What is your biggest mountaineering goal :?:
Keeping this practicle, to finish the centennials THIS year.
Discarding pragmatics, to summit Sunlight Spire!

Daniel Trugman: Man, I love your quote! Good choice.[/b]

Postby summitrunner » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 pm

1) Longs the second time after being too scared to do it the first time.
2) This summer: run DECALIBRO if it is open, misc. Sawatch summits, Buffalo mntn, Ptarmigan mntn, and to run from Breck to Frisco via the Peaks Trail. I will also attemt to run from Loveland ski area to Dillon Valley by running over the tunnel and down the Straight Creek Trail. Oh and Tenderfoot mntn too. Maybe Evans and Bierstadt if I have some time. You all will say, "Those are easy!" To make them hard I will run most of them for you so I can be Xtreme like everyone else :lol:
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Next