Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Crested Butte

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Crested Butte

Postby bentsfort » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm planning a ski trip to Crested Butte this winter, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good bars/pubs in CB. Always looking for a good after ski beer pounding session...

Location: Avatar pic: Paiute Peak. Residing in Glenwood Springs

Postby ursidae » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:08 pm

For some down to earth beer guzzling and general feeding the Brick Oven Pizzeria should be a good bet. Food, service and atmosphere has been great every time I've been there.

Hope CB gets some more snow, my friends living there are telling me ~half the mountain is still not open.

Postby Van McDaniel » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 am

Try visitcrestedbutte.com for updates on the mountain and local watering hole info. The Brick Oven gets my vote for good pizza. They are building a new location next door to the present location. Across from it is the Wooden Nickle. Great buffalo burgers. Next door to the Wooden Nickle used to be the Idle Spur but now it has been redone into a(get this) seafood/oceaney/yuppyfied place called the Calypso. IMO this just does not fit into the town theme. They have even painted the walls blue. Used to be a real good joint before it went surfside. If you just want a place to down a few brews try the Eldo next door to the post office or Kochevar's just up the street from the Eldo, both are for sure the "working man's" bar, a true unyup experience. Or perhaps the Talk of the Town, and by their admission, "Located in the Liver of Crested Butte". Now, if you are a coffee freak like I am and are looking for a non-Starbuck moment, try Camp4 Coffee located about 100' south of the intersection of Elk Ave and 4th. They have really defined the word "Funky". Just look for the old house covered in license plates. If you are going to stay overnight and are looking for lodging you may want to try the Old Town Inn on the south side of town at hwy. 135 and Red Lady Ave. as you come into town from Gunnison. There are other B&B places in town but you have to be looking for them. Breakfast? Try McGills.....it is a new place that opened this past July and prices are more than reasonable....located across the street from the Brick Oven. The town marshal and his deputies seem to be fairly laid back but they will enforce with pleasure the 15mph speed limit in town. Watch out for the local teens that like to snowboard downhill (east)on Elk Ave. and hitch a ride uphill(west)on the back of the ski bus and repeat the move. This time of year one has to watch out for some errant teen snowboarder anywhere in town....Damn, I envy them, I want to join them.
Eat Dessert First!

Postby ray » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:35 pm

the eldo is where you want to be

Postby CO Native » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:29 pm

All the good restaurants are in downtown CB not in Mount CB. Many good ones to choose from. Just walk in and look for locals (the ones who aren't still wearing ski tickets on their jackets), if they're in there you're golden. There is a free bus that runs between Mount CB and CB so drink up, no need to drive. Also if you notice the strange smell of the bus it's burning used cooking oil rather than diesel so it might smell like fries or egg rolls or whatever was last fried in the oil.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby kfordyce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:04 pm

If you are not in the mood to go into CB, the Avalanche Bar and Grill has good food and drink (full bar) at reasonable prices. CB is a great town, so go down there during your visit. On another note, The Slogar is a great restaurant. They serve only chicken and fillet mignon, but the sides are excellent. Many other excellent restaurants as well....