Frostbite on Mt. Evans

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Frostbite on Mt. Evans

Post by HikerCurt »

I also just finished reading this book and enjoyed it. Your peak progression is impressive and your willingness to share your unfortunate situations reinforced being safe in the mountains. Your fund raising efforts are commendable as well.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

desertdog wrote:Just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great read! Cheers Richard
HikerCurt wrote:I also just finished reading this book and enjoyed it. Your peak progression is impressive and your willingness to share your unfortunate situations reinforced being safe in the mountains. Your fund raising efforts are commendable as well.
I'm really happy you both enjoyed the read. In the spirit of sharing lessons learned in advance of the upcoming summer 14er season, I'm curious if there was anything in particular that you plan to do differently this year after having read? I'm sure there are many on the forum that would enjoy your views even if they aren't interested in reading the whole book.

I am clearly not an elite climber the likes of Gerry Roach or Lou Dawson (and I didn't write the book for an elite climber audience), but am thrilled that each of them took the time to read the book and write reviews. In Mr. Dawson's review (full text on his blog - https://www.wildsnow.com/16616/review-f ... -mckinley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), he says, "Perhaps most importantly, my hope is that as the 14er “bagging” season begins here in Colorado, the publication of “Exposed” will help reduce what is sometimes best termed a clown act, what with folks doing the human snow toboggan without ice axes, stumbling like herds of zombies from afternoon lightning, bringing so many dogs they need a pet wrangler to keep track of the herd — and generally climbing under-equipped."

In Mr. Roach's review (full text at http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/1 ... ewpoints=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), he says, "This book covers many larger themes, and is a good read for a beginning mountaineer. There are many lessons to be learned in the mountains, and the trick is to learn before you leap. The measure of a mountaineer is not whether they make mistakes or not, but how they recover from them. Their Mount Evans tragedy is important to recall, since it offers a platform for answers, many of which apply to life in general. When something goes wrong, stop, think, and don't make the second error that can kill you. Don't persist in an error; leave your ego in your vehicle at the trailhead. Practice fundamentals. Take small steps toward larger objectives. Finally, one statement near the end of the book sticks with me. When an experienced professional guide has to make a tough call, they ask the junior guides what they think. Experience does not exempt you from disaster. Obviously, Exposed got me thinking. Be safe up there."
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

bmcqueen wrote:
desertdog wrote:Just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great read! Cheers Richard
HikerCurt wrote:I also just finished reading this book and enjoyed it. Your peak progression is impressive and your willingness to share your unfortunate situations reinforced being safe in the mountains. Your fund raising efforts are commendable as well.
I'm really happy you both enjoyed the read. In the spirit of sharing lessons learned in advance of the upcoming summer 14er season, I'm curious if there was anything in particular that you plan to do differently this year after having read? I'm sure there are many on the forum that would enjoy your views even if they aren't interested in reading the whole book.

I am clearly not an elite climber the likes of Gerry Roach or Lou Dawson (and I didn't write the book for an elite climber audience), but am thrilled that each of them took the time to read the book and write reviews. In Mr. Dawson's review (full text on his blog - https://www.wildsnow.com/16616/review-f ... -mckinley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), he says, "Perhaps most importantly, my hope is that as the 14er “bagging” season begins here in Colorado, the publication of “Exposed” will help reduce what is sometimes best termed a clown act, what with folks doing the human snow toboggan without ice axes, stumbling like herds of zombies from afternoon lightning, bringing so many dogs they need a pet wrangler to keep track of the herd — and generally climbing under-equipped."

In Mr. Roach's review (full text at http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/1 ... ewpoints=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), he says, "This book covers many larger themes, and is a good read for a beginning mountaineer. There are many lessons to be learned in the mountains, and the trick is to learn before you leap. The measure of a mountaineer is not whether they make mistakes or not, but how they recover from them. Their Mount Evans tragedy is important to recall, since it offers a platform for answers, many of which apply to life in general. When something goes wrong, stop, think, and don't make the second error that can kill you. Don't persist in an error; leave your ego in your vehicle at the trailhead. Practice fundamentals. Take small steps toward larger objectives. Finally, one statement near the end of the book sticks with me. When an experienced professional guide has to make a tough call, they ask the junior guides what they think. Experience does not exempt you from disaster. Obviously, Exposed got me thinking. Be safe up there."
Hi Brad,

I’ve always been a pretty cautions climber/hiker. You know I’ve just heard too many stories about simple day hikes or shoulder season trips that have gone bad. I guess because those two scenarios can cause complacency or the unexpected.

It’s a no brainer, but carrying the 10 essentials really does go a long way. Standouts for me include always be prepared gear wise to spend the night out, don’t be afraid to bail if the weather turns or something just doesn’t feel right, show the mountain respect, and finally study the route in advance in detail (I am amazed at people that just show up for a climb, having never even looked at the route).

Consistency in being prepared no matter what the trip involves is key.

By the way, I should have said in my last post your wife is one impressive woman.

Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerCurt »

Brad- Since you asked, your book and some of the events were just a great reminder to take any hike in high country seriously. I climbed Lassen Pk on Sunday, even though it is considered an easy snow climb this time of the year, it still required crampons/ice axe in a couple of steep sections as recommended in numerous places in the park and trailhead. Just like when climbing Long's Pk in the summer, I saw several people heading up Lassen ill-equipped. The fact that folks would be reading your book or checking out 14ers.com shows that they are least preparing or getting informed on climbing 14ers. Unfortunately, some of the folks who need your (or 14ers.com) advice the most are not seeking it out before heading up.
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Thanks for sharing guys. Indeed it is a little scary some of the things we see up there.

We were all beginners at one point or another and everyone makes mistakes. I like Gerry Roach's comment, "When something goes wrong, stop, think, and don't make the second error that can kill you. Don't persist in an error." Thankfully we got a second chance when we made mistakes and the cost was measured in missing digits vs. lost lives...
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

Just ordered it on Amazon. Curious, though, how did the Golden Retriever make out? I know, it is probably in the book, but just curious.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

jcman01 wrote:Just ordered it on Amazon. Curious, though, how did the Golden Retriever make out? I know, it is probably in the book, but just curious.
The Golden Retriever helped to keep them warm overnight and survived without any lasting injuries.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

MonGoose wrote:
jcman01 wrote:Just ordered it on Amazon. Curious, though, how did the Golden Retriever make out? I know, it is probably in the book, but just curious.
The Golden Retriever helped to keep them warm overnight and survived without any lasting injuries.
Thanks. I know what I'm reading over Memorial Day Weekend.
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

MonGoose wrote:
Correct, Malcolm the Golden Retriever hiked out with the Alpine Rescue Team, then stayed the night with the sheriff's dispatcher in Idaho Springs from our understanding. He had no injuries, blisters or anything. He tried one more 14er with us in 2002 - Humboldt - but didn't make the top due to a bum paw. After that, we retired him from going on 14ers and I haven't taken a dog up a mountain with me since. He lived a happy non-14er life until we had to put him down in 2008 due to cancer.