Frostbite on Mt. Evans

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Frostbite on Mt. Evans

Post by bmcqueen »

I thought this group might be interested in our story and some upcoming events. In May 2001, my wife, father and I climbed Mt. Evans from Guanella Pass with our golden retriever. We ended up stranded overnight in the willows when a late-spring blizzard blew in a day earlier than forecasted. The Alpine Rescue Team came to our aid the following morning, but my wife lost eight of her toes to frostbite in the accident.

We have a book coming out the week after next that tells the whole story along with many subsequent adventures in the mountains - Exposed: Tragedy & Triumph in Mountain Climbing. We wrote the book to share lessons learned and to raise money for outdoor non-profits in Colorado - Alpine Rescue Team, CFI, Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado and Big City Mountaineers. We are also supporting UpaDowna in the Colorado Springs community with our event there. 100% of profits at these upcoming events go to the non-profits:

3/15 - Jagged Mountain Brewery (downtown Denver) - 5:30 PM - partnering with Alpine Rescue Team (100% of proceeds to them)
3/21 - Ute & Yeti (CO Springs) - 6:00 PM - 100% to UpaDowna
4/2 - Boulder Book Store - 7:30 PM (proceeds to ART, VOC, CFI and BCM)
4/4 - American Mountaineering Museum (Golden) - 6:00 PM - this is the big one (proceeds to ART, VOC, CFI and BCM) - registration required (see link below)
4/8 - REI Boulder store - 6:30 PM (proceeds to ART, VOC, CFI and BCM) - registration required (see link below)

For more info and registration links, check out our website http://www.exposedmountainbook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Frostbite on Mt. Evans

Post by I Man »

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to attending one or more of the events in the Boulder area.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
ClimbandMine
14ers: 57 
13ers: 47 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbandMine »

Speed records for two toed people?

Sorry, but that is just funny...
I don't care that you Tele.
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

ClimbandMine wrote:Speed records for two toed people?

Sorry, but that is just funny...
Luckily, not a lot of competition for those records :-D
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

I'm looking forward to this! Thanks for posting, Brad!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

I hope to make it to one of these!
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Where's the NoCo date? Looks like I might have to drive south
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

dpage wrote:Where's the NoCo date? Looks like I might have to drive south
We'd actually be happy to do an event in NoCo, so if you or someone else has a good connection on venue up there, shoot me a message. Same deal as the others - we're happy to donate 100% of the profits at the events.

susanjoypaul
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Congratulations to you and your wife for writing the book, and getting it published, too! No small accomplishment, for sure. I'm looking forward to reading it.

-Susan
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Just bought a copy on Amazon. Always like a good mountaineering book! Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
bmcqueen
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Thanks for the kind words and support.

I should also mention - I managed to get food and drink sponsors for the April 4th event at the American Mountaineering Museum in Golden, so there will be beer, wine, and soft drinks plus heavy appetizers and dessert provided at that event. And all for a great cause - 100% of profits go to CFI, VOC, BCM and Alpine Rescue Team. Registration required though so I have a good count for the caterer - link below for those interested.

http://shop.americanalpineclub.org/prod ... esentation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, thanks for helping support our great Colorado outdoor non-profits.
Brad

mtgirl
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Just pre-ordered your book on Amazon. Looking forward to reading it during my LLLLOOONNNGGGG plane travel to Nepal.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."