Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hibernation as a survival technique?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Hibernation as a survival technique?

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:22 am

Whoa! Just think of the possible usefulness of a "drug induced" hybernation as a last ditch survival action! Slow down the body's metabolism and "hybernate" while hoping for rescue (or spring thaw!)...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061220/ap_ ... nating_man
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby JoeyJ » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:51 am

Hey that's a good shot of you two in the santa hats! Your quote is hilarious! Did someone actually do that or is that your embellishment?

Postby Iguru » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:07 am

Ahhh. Hibernation. What a wonderful idea. The animals that do, have life mastered.
If only humans could just fall asleep say around early November, have your metabolism slow way down, (along with the aging process) and awaken in maybe late March. You could miss the most miserable season of the year (IMO). Although I don't mind Feb. as the days are starting to get noticably longer. But Nov. & Dec. I wouldn't miss at all.
This would be useful not only as a survival technique, but as a sort of life extension, while missing the dreary months. Did you say drug induced? :wink:
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:15 am

Igaru!

Finally, a like soul! I have suggested this lifestyle in the past. I would like to be placed in cryogenic suspension the day after Halloween each year. Place me in a storage facility and thaw me out at the end of March! Like you said, I think it would extend our life, since we would not age while in suspension!

Most of the people on this site are skiers and they live for winter. Perhaps you and I could work out a "job swap" with some of the skiers... We could be in suspension in the winter, while they work and ski. Then, in April, they go into suspension, while we wake for summer. We work to fill the same occupations in society, but you and I hike in the summer, while the skiers ski in the winter! A perfect world - with reduced emissions resulting!

JoeyJ,

Thanks for the kind remarks about the avatar! We took the photo on the summit of Pikes Peak.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby Iguru » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 am

TalusMonkey

Great minds think alike :idea:
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby Jcwhite » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 am

You guys are crazy...especially talking about this on a 14er forum...November through march is without a doubt the best time to be climbing 14ers and participating in other sweet sports such as skiing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 am

Those guys on Mt. Hood also thought that November through March was the best time to enjoy mountaineering...

Would anyone here dispute that mountaineering risks are lower in summer? Sure, there is more lightning risk, but avalanche, storm, hypothermia risks are higher in winter in my mind.

I'll be hiking Mt. Hood too - next JULY...

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm

I agree completely with talusmonkey..........the weather from December through February is miserable........cold....wet....dark...MUDDY....etc.

That's why, during those months, we leave Kentucky and come to COLORADO........where it doesn't suck during those months.

If things are covered in snow or frozen you can at least enjoy being outside and you are not wiping mud off dogs every time you go in and out of the house.

Duffus Muddy Kentucky Climber
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby skier25 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:42 pm

Jcwhite wrote:You guys are crazy...especially talking about this on a 14er forum...November through march is without a doubt the best time to be climbing 14ers and participating in other sweet sports such as skiing.
I'm with you Jcwhite. Anyone who is against winter and lives in the mountains is insane. I can't fathom why anywone would want to miss such a glorious time of the year. I hate it when summer rudely intrudes on winter's icy hold in the mountains. Summer has sweet sports too, like Kayaking, Mtn Biking, etc. But there is no comparison to climbing the highest mountain around, and then floating down it in steep/deep powder.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.