Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Davenport and Mahon ski Kit Carson

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby cjw » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:54 pm

doumall wrote:Way to go get that one cjw. We were planning Kit for the 27th but were a little unsure of the snowpack after the first big storm so did Humboldt instead. Looks like you had excellent conditions, congrats!

Thanks. Conditions were stable and great, not often to get powder on a 14er. If they got another foot from the latest storm then it must be fantastic up there now.

I think about 5 times as the storm pulses came through we thought we were not going to make it.

Cheers,
Chris

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am

Wow, great pictures. I love this one; is that the upper end of Willow Lake?
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby cjw » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:50 am

Jim Davies wrote:Wow, great pictures. I love this one; is that the upper end of Willow Lake?

That is the upper end of Lower Willow Lake.

Ted did you ski Princeton as well?

Postby KirkT » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:41 pm

I was wondering if you were along on Princeton last week for Chris' ski there. By the pictures the mountain looked pretty wind scoured. It looked very possible to climb right now without the "usual" winter climbing gear. Could a reasonable person climb Princeton right now without much difficulty?? Thanks for your input..

Kirk

Re: Ted did you ski Princeton as well?

Postby cjw » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:56 pm

KirkT wrote:I was wondering if you were along on Princeton last week for Chris' ski there. By the pictures the mountain looked pretty wind scoured. It looked very possible to climb right now without the "usual" winter climbing gear. Could a reasonable person climb Princeton right now without much difficulty?? Thanks for your input..

I was not there, but based on their description, 1 foot of powder down low and hateful breakable cust up higher....I would think it wouldn't be great/easy.

I skied Princeton in the spring, followed up with kayaking Granite through the Numbers in the afternoon. Makes for a fine day.

I guess I don't have any useful information for you...

Cheers,
Chris

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Chris added the Little Bear and Crestone Needle trip reports from last week. The Little Bear report is intense, especially seeing as one of Chris' partners fell in the hourglass :shock:

Read on:

http://skithe14ers.com/p-little-bear-peak.php
http://www.skithe14ers.com/p-crestone-needle.php

Postby tmahon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:58 am

new update- 1 left as of tuesday AM

Postby Yog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 am

Anyone ever climbed that ice on Willow Lake, BTW? It caught my eye as well. I remember seeing that waterfall when Jamie (Shanahan), Jamie N. & I climbed UN 13,580 B right above Willow Lake.

TMahon, I didn't realize it was you that was part of the ski the 14ers project! You guys are awesome, good luck on #54!!!!
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Previous