Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

records

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

records

Postby pvnisher » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:46 pm

I've seen many attempts at different records involving 14ers:
-fastest to hike them all
-youngest to hike them all
-ski off all summits
--ski off all summits in one season
etc.

My question is have you heard of anyone doing the following:
-hiking all 14ers and walking between trailheads (ie no driving whatsoever for all summits)
-hiking all summits at night
--wearing headlamp
--wearing night vision goggles
--no add'l illumination

Anyone heard of anyone doing those things?

Also, what is the weirdest/wackiest/hardest record involving the 14ers you've heard of?

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Andrew Hamilton did all the 14ers self-powered (bicycling between trailheads), in 19 days 10 hours.
http://www.andrewhamilton.com/
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby denalibound » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Ted E. Keizer (aka Cave Dog) holds the record for fastest ascent of 55 14ers at 10 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes. He drove between the trailheads though.

http://www.thecavedog.com

Postby TK » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:58 pm

The coolest one I know of is that there was once a project to simultaneously position a HAM radio operator on all 14ers. I'm not too sure how well this went, but it was one heck of an idea.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby summitrunner » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:24 pm

Dathan Ritzenhein and Jorge Torres, CU All American distance runners and National Champions, either peaked Mount Elbert in 1:14:59 or did the whole thing in that time :o (I believe it was the North TH). When I did it in 2 hours I thought I was a stud; when I read on Bill Wright's website that they had done it in that time I now believe that they are immortal gods.

http://www.wwwright.com/

PS: I "raced" the two of them in April of 2002 at a quad meet at USAFA. Being in the same race as those two men was like playing catch with John Elway for me!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Andrew Hamilton did all the 14ers self-powered (bicycling between trailheads), in 19 days 10 hours.
http://www.andrewhamilton.com/

Wow, simply amazing......RD

Postby gsliva » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 am

How about climbing all of the 14ers barefooted!

naked?

Carrying a sack of potatoes?

Just kidding
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby JB Allen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:19 pm

I have compleated several of the HAM radio events on 14ers and it was a lot of fun. They were called the 14er events, if I remember right. Not every 14er had a ham on it but a lot of them did. Using my hand held 2 meter rig I could pop repeaters all over the state, NM & WY. From Handies, Democrat or Humboldt I could pop my local repeater in Ft. Morgan, dial up the auto patch & talk whit my wife & friends. All on 100 milliwatts. Not a lot of power. The Denver club is where I found out about it.
JB Allen...

Postby skier25 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Way back, my Uncle climbed Longs barefoot. I think once would be enough!
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Scanner » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:02 pm

TK wrote:The coolest one I know of is that there was once a project to simultaneously position a HAM radio operator on all 14ers. I'm not too sure how well this went, but it was one heck of an idea.

Earlier this year, August 13th, I was on Belford and Oxford and there were two HAM radio operators on those summits. It didn't sound like they were even close to covering all the 14ers, but it was an impressive number anyway. We tried to help the guy on Belford signal to another operator on Harvard with a mirror :). It was pretty nifty. I wonder if it's something they do every year, but never quite get enough people to hit up all the peaks at the same time...