Coolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Coolest Find While Hiking

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Not my find but on one of my Long's Peak climbs I ran into another hiker that had found a very old wallet. When he turned it in to the ranger station at the trailhead the ranger couldn't believe his eyes. Turns out that the driver's license showed it belonged to James Disney, a ranger that was involved in Dick Kezlan's rescue - he's the guy that slid down Lamb's Slide and ended up having brain surgery performed on him on the mountain by Dr. Luce back in 1968.
Last edited by its_not_a_tuba on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

MountainHiker wrote:
Dex wrote:
TeamDino5280 wrote:This is in the Monte Christo Drainage in the 10-Mile

The rock on top is the size of a mini-van......
The cairn builders got tired of putting the small rocks on top.
No, they saw on 14ers.com that some people kick over cairns. So they thought, okay, have a go at this one!
Dont worry if anyone wants to go see it I marked the way with bright PINK tape :-$
14RBND
14ers: 9 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14RBND »

Came home from middle school and found my ten speed bike had been stolen out of the garage. We lived on edge of desert and I used to take our Basset Hound out for a hike in desert after school each day. We hiked about a mile into desert and the dog pulled off of the trail to what at first looked like a pile of old wood. As he pulled me over to the pile of wood I caught the edge of a pedal sticking up out of the wood. It was my bike !!! The dog was the one who found it and to this day had to be the coolest thing I (we) , ever found on a hike.. =D>
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Was off route on Mt. Massive last November, stumbled upon a lot of the wreckage from the crash. I kept a gear that I pulled out of the snow, the entire thing happened to be recorded on my helmet cam and on youtube.

Fast forward to this last memorial day, a sister of one of the victims of the crash sent me a message on Facebook asking if I was the same guy with the youtube video. I told her I was indeed. I offered the part I kept and she said it would mean the world if she could have it. I mailed it off to her and she messaged me saying she got it on her brother's birthday, of all days.

It felt good knowing I helped a family get some closure from a painful event. I can't imagine what that must have been like.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Was off route on Mt. Massive last November, stumbled upon a lot of the wreckage from the crash. I kept a gear that I pulled out of the snow, the entire thing happened to be recorded on my helmet cam and on youtube.

Fast forward to this last memorial day, a sister of one of the victims of the crash sent me a message on Facebook asking if I was the same guy with the youtube video. I told her I was indeed. I offered the part I kept and she said it would mean the world if she could have it. I mailed it off to her and she messaged me saying she got it on her brother's birthday, of all days.

It felt good knowing I helped a family get some closure from a painful event. I can't imagine what that must have been like.
Now that is cool. Thanks for sharing. Only "somewhat" of a prick occasionally, right??
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

smoove wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Was off route on Mt. Massive last November, stumbled upon a lot of the wreckage from the crash. I kept a gear that I pulled out of the snow, the entire thing happened to be recorded on my helmet cam and on youtube.

Now that is cool. Thanks for sharing. Only "somewhat" of a prick occasionally, right??
I've been known to do a good deed from time to time. :^o
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Someone left a $2 bill on the summit of West Spanish Peak. I was conflicted about what to do with it, but I ended up keeping it. It probably wouldn't have lasted too long in that harsh environment, and the summit isn't visited by a lot of people. I suspect the guy who reached the summit before me left it there.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I found a 1920's era silver dollar when I was setting up my tent near the south end of the Colorado Trail.

I found an umbrella on the ridge near Mosquito Pass. I wonder what the story was behind that - did it
start buzzing because of a thunderstorm, and someone abandoned it?
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

djkest wrote:Someone left a $2 bill on the summit of West Spanish Peak. I was conflicted about what to do with it, but I ended up keeping it. It probably wouldn't have lasted too long in that harsh environment, and the summit isn't visited by a lot of people. I suspect the guy who reached the summit before me left it there.
Dan, you better watch your back!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

While backpacking to a very remote site in the Lincoln National Forest, near Guadalupe Mountains NP, we came across a campsite that had a pair of SWAROVSKI OPTIK binoculars hanging in a tree. They had been there for some time and were a little weathered, but still quite functional. Unfortunately, it was my friend who saw them first, so he got a very nice (and expensive) bit of gear.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

djkest wrote:Someone left a $2 bill on the summit of West Spanish Peak.
That reminds me of another... About 10 years ago I scrambled to the top of an exposed non-technical rock fin near Mount Muscoco. Before leaving, I decided to mark my presence and left a dime on the rock. The next time I was up there was a few years later, and I found a nickel.... hmmm, I'm pretty sure I left a dime... So I took the nickel and left two pennies. Haven't been up there since, maybe it's time to check it again....
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

Sometime in the 1980’s I believe, don’t remember the exact year, left Denver very early one fall morning to hike up USLM Divide / Mt. Tweto (13,672’) from the Mosquito Pass road. As I gained the ridge to the southwest of the summit, I noticed what looked like plane wreckage at the saddle below. After going to the summit, I detoured further down the ridge to the saddle at 13,020’ for a closer look. A single engine plane was crashed and upside down about 50 feet below the saddle. The wreckage was fresh and debris and contents of the plane where scattered about. Fluid was slowly dripping from the plane. As I got down closer to my vehicle, a suv drove up onto the tundra towards the wreck. In it where law enforcement / NSTB type guys wondering what I was doing. I explained my hike and answered their questions that I had not taken or disturbed anything at the crash site. I learned that the plane had crashed the previous day and had been stolen by a student pilot from Centennial Airport. The pilot was an out of state student attending college in Colorado and who was taking flying lessons at Centennial. He took the plane for a joyride and apparently came into the Mosquito Creek drainage from the southeast at too low of an altitude and could neither turn around in the valley and could quite climb out of it as he crashed just below the pass. The body had been removed late the previous day.

Not sure if this qualifies as cool, but is the most unique thing I have found while hiking.