Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Coolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Coolest Find While Hiking

Postby Cheaton6 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:58 am

I love exploring and I know everyone else here does as well. I am wondering what people's best finds have been while exploring the back country? I haven't found anything special, I love stumbling across old abandoned shacks and history. Once in the middle of the woods off trail I found an old wooden box sitting under a rock. Thinking it was treasure of course I opened it up and it was full of ashes. That was my most surprising find but I am sure everyone else has better stories!

Re: Coolest Find While Hiking

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:31 am

In the summer of 1995 I found the ashes of Robert Ormes on Mount Rosa. They had been scattered a few days earlier according to the summit register; later that day it rained cats and dogs, so I might have been the last one to see them there.

In the early 90's I was bushwacking up an obscure slope on an unnamed peak near Mt Rosa and found an old Lensatic compass. The face was partly faded from sun exposure, but it still worked. It's still the only compass I carry.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby TK » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 am

Does it count if someone else found something?

I once fell into the Colorado River in RMNP and lost a wallet. It seems I had my phone number written on a receipt. Six months later, one of the local ranchers called me to tell me he'd found the wallet while fishing in the river. I drove up to get it, had a great cup of coffee with him, and a day hike above Grand Lake. He'd dried out the papers enough that he could read them, called me, and returned everything intact. Amazing.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby EatinHardtack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:53 am

While hiking I once found a shoe. Not that's a great find by any stretch of the imagination but it was an old shoe. Full leather with leather sole with pegged wood instead of stiching. I was suprised to find it but not suprised that it hadn't deteriorated as it was high above timberline in a known mining area. It was damn near the same make as my civil war reenacting shoes I use to wear. Did some research on the area afterwards to find that operations had been present from the mid-1860's, so it could have been from that period but maybe a later date 80's or 90's. I left it alone but put it back in one of the mines.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby jeremy27 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:03 pm

I found an arrowhead off trail on the side of Spring Mountain. My wife swears it fell out of some kids backpack but I'm telling myself it was real. Better story that way.

Postby killstorm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Not really coolest, but oddest find was this:

IMG_4331aasm.JPG
IMG_4331aasm.JPG (145.34 KiB) Viewed 1741 times

This was after hiking Trico Peak (background), I was looping back down and ran across this in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't close to any mining remnants and was a ways from the road. A bunch of 2x4's nailed into the ground
in rows. Not quite sure what to make of it, maybe a mini snow fence...

Postby Brian C » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Stuff like this is always cool to find...

66184_orig.jpg
66184_orig.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby TeamDino5280 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:03 am

This is in the Monte Christo Drainage in the 10-Mile

The rock on top is the size of a mini-van......

"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby Jeff Valliere » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am

My wife and I found a gold Chopard pocket watch, with a steam train engraved on it from the 1880's while exploring a mining site in the San Juans years ago. The outside is somewhat tarnished and the internal gears are not operable, but the inside is relatively intact and the gold inside is quite shiny. Could certainly be refurbished to near original condition.

Postby Rarefied » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 am

TeamDino5280 wrote:This is in the Monte Christo Drainage in the 10-Mile. The rock on top is the size of a mini-van......

Cool shot! 8)

EatinHardtack wrote:While hiking I once found a shoe. Not that's a great find by any stretch of the imagination but it was an old shoe. Full leather with leather sole with pegged wood instead of stiching. I was suprised to find it but not suprised that it hadn't deteriorated as it was high above timberline in a known mining area. It was damn near the same make as my civil war reenacting shoes I use to wear. Did some research on the area afterwards to find that operations had been present from the mid-1860's, so it could have been from that period but maybe a later date 80's or 90's. I left it alone but put it back in one of the mines.

That sounds something like one I found a few years back as I came down off North Star. Maybe its mate?! :lol:

R

Postby Dex » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 am

TeamDino5280 wrote:This is in the Monte Christo Drainage in the 10-Mile

The rock on top is the size of a mini-van......

The cairn builders got tired of putting the small rocks on top.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby spong0949 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 am

I found an Iphone on Columbia's southeast ridge. We called contacts from the phone until we reached the owner, got an address, and sent it to them. We didn't expect anything in return, just trying to do the right thing. About a month later I got an REI gift card in the mail as a thank you. SCORE!
Mountain photography and fine art:
http://aaronspong.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Next