Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

MonGoose Finisher Roast

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

MonGoose Finisher Roast

Postby BenfromtheEast » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am

First of all, let me say that Miss Marcia Mallow is a classy lady. I really enjoyed hiking with her on Culebra over a year ago. But that's not what this is about. Finisher threads are stupid. How about a good solid roasting?

And on that note, MMM likes Penn State. Or maybe it's her friend Jen (lululuv) who likes Penn State. Close enough. Plus she's a marshmallow. Boom, roasted.

How can you be more roastable than a marshmallow? Be a mongoose. Specifically, THE MonGoose. Seriously, he introduces himself as "THE MonGoose" on the trail and will let you know that you probably know him already because he's famous. A bit full of himself? That's an understatement (see dance-off competition). Even worse, he tends to bring a small boombox along hiking and skiing, which wouldn't be so bad except for his awkward taste in music (think the sort of stuff that accompanies said dance videos). Maybe it's a Texas thing. Did I mention he was born and raised in Texas? I should have started and stopped there. Boom, roasted.

Oh, and neither of these two has actually finished the 14ers at this point. Marcia, I hope you had a lovely day. MonGoose, I hope you slept in and missed your own finisher hike. I would have showed up, but finishing the 14ers is stupid.
Last edited by BenfromtheEast on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Finishers' Roast

Postby Cookiehiker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:18 pm

I witnessed the completions today. Great 'roast'! And CONGRATS to both!

Postby MountainMedic » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:33 pm

I had the pleasure of hiking Democrat with these folks this morning. But to do Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross - and then hold out on Democrat just so you can have a special day to boast about your accomplishments? These guys are something else.

Marcia, it was great meeting you on Culebra last year and seeing you finish today. I hope to hike with you again soon!

Nick, thanks for all you've done for me since our accident. I'm glad we ran into each other on N Maroon last year. You've been a great friend ever since, and I was honored to see you finish today. Bells Traverse next weekend?

Postby Fisching » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Marcia, congrats on the finisher. Awesome accomplishment.

Ben, I'm glad to see Paige gave you permission to get this thread going. Now go ask her if you can stay up past 9pm even though it's a school night.

Nick, your accomplishment on the other hand - eh. Talk to me once you accomplish something worthwhile, like the Centennials, the Winter list, or even the list of 73. Mr. Yelson's computer technology class from Jefferson County Junior High School called, they want their shoddy video editing back. In all seriousness, I'm glad to you see you've improved your dance moves over the years; I think you're finally on par with Steven Hawking. I'm just curious, when are you going to shave that goatee of yours? No one should aspire to have the facial hair of Jafar from Aladdin. It's a good thing Mike Leech didn't lock you in Texas Tech's equipment room for that faux pas.

Boom, Roasted.

Seriously, I can't tell - is that THE Mongoose or Disney super-villain?
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Mongoose Finishing? blah, blah, blah...

Call me if you win the Summit Dance-Off Challenge. Then maybe I'll acknowledge you.

(Seriously, congrats!)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Hey, congrats!! Now the fun begins... :-D

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 pm

I was wondering where "THE MonGoose's" finisher thread was...Can't think of a more fitting way to acknowledge this sub-hurculean, nay, totally lack-luster effort to finish the 14ers without dancing on ALL of them. A list just isn't complete without a 'summit dancing' icon.

Seriously though, it was a pleasure to beat you up the mountain by almost 40 minutes and wait in the freezing wind for you to show up, so that I could get some free champagne.

Congrats Nick on your accomplishment!!! It was seriously a blast hiking and hanging out with you and everyone that joined. Here's to many more safe and successful summits!

(and another congrats to Marcia - I already told her in her own thread and would prefer to keep her name clean as this thread will devolve into a typical junk show :mrgreen: )
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Re: MonGoose Finisher Roast

Postby BenfromtheEast » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 am

This is pathetic. Doesn't anyone have anything bad to say about Mother Goose?

How about the fact that his "skiing" looks more like a turtle taking a dump?
Turtle.jpg
Turtle.jpg (106.37 KiB) Viewed 666 times

Here's a gem from the front side at Vail:
huckingepicrocks.jpg
huckingepicrocks.jpg (245.64 KiB) Viewed 666 times

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 pm

While I applaud any jorts summit, that was a half-assed attempt, Mr. THE MonGoose. A baselayer underneath? Man up. Everyone knows the only jorts ascents that count are COMMANDO jorts ascents. And even without the baselayer, those were more like jean capris. Cut them shorter next time. I guess I should have expected that, given how you were also one of the first to chicken out of the Shirtless Winter Ascent of Elbert.

In all seriousness, it was a pleasure sharing several summits with you (especially "K2") and a huge congrats on finishing (or just getting started?). Really sorry to have missed it, but it was the right call. I'm eating Ibuprofen like candy and honing my extreme RICE techniques. Now, give me my tent back and start expanding your number of dance moves from your existing...one.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Fisching » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm

THE Mongoose, far left, disguised as a Coloradan.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

His name is Mongoose, but it looked like Meerkats on that truck driver hat he was wearing! I'm glad he wasn't going commando. I was hiking behind him for awhile!
But seriously, congratulations. Well done. The snow seemed to legitimize it! =D>
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Dave B » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm f***ing confused.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Next