Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Postby BHallDDS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm

12ersRule wrote:
BHallDDS wrote:Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.

all this speculation is like a trip to the dentist

Haha, some people hate it, some people don't.

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:55 pm

12ersRule wrote:all this speculation is like a trip to the dentist

Yeah, lets wait to hear from those involved........ oh wait.

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:04 pm

BHallDDS wrote:
longsroute.jpg

From their first-hand account when they talk about "downclimbing to find Clark's arrow only to end up at 200 ft cliffs", this makes me think they went up either the yellow, red or even the green route (therefore, not Keplinger's at all) and then ascended to the tops of the Palisades (indicated by the green arrows) hence, being at the edge of the cliffs. I've never been in either of those couloirs some I'm not sure how nasty they are. But if they are anything like Keplinger's, certainly gross.

Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.

You know what? I think they were trapped behind the Wal-Mart in Boulder.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby highpilgrim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Let me see if I've gotten all the options discussed so far...

speculation.JPG
speculation.JPG (289.92 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Fisching » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Everyone else is posting maps with possible routes they took, so I'm going the club. I mean, I don't want to be all
Butthurt by the analysis. Get over it. It's fun.

longsroute.jpg
longsroute.jpg (220.38 KiB) Viewed 696 times

EDIT: Damn, highpilgrim don't go ruining my fun. I don't want to be all butthurt again
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Now we are getting somewhere.

All we need now is a Camp Gladiator contingent ensconced on the Loft, dressed in workout attire, doing cone drills.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Oman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm

highpilgrim wrote:Let me see if I've gotten all the options discussed so far...

Now you're bringing religion into it? It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Postby highpilgrim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Oman wrote:
Now you're bringing religion into it? It's the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

No, your pious friend had not yet appeared in my picture. He came later to pass judgement with the rest of the gang...

speculation epilogue.jpg
speculation epilogue.jpg (293.69 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Seems like the "locking" of this thread is imminent.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby rickinco123 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Interesting how people who were ready to criticize passing judgement without the whole story first came here to gloat and then when the analysis doesn't go the way they were hoping they throw a tantrum. It appears to me that quite a bit of the criticism from the initial thread is standing up when you look at their written account. Their beta, and therefore preparation, were sub par, their insistence that freezing rain, snow and then rain is some crazy weather event on Longs shows they did not learn a lot, and their failure to seemingly understand where they even were after the event is astonishing. Yeah I guess 2 engineers who work for a gear company brought gear, at least they were somewhat prepared. I would also like to know what kind of influence they were/are trying to peddle with politicians, why are US Senators being thanked for a rescue? Meanwhile the little people at the Park are given last mention and certainly no names are dropped there. It is quite a feat they got out unscathed but I am not impressed by their decision making.

Anyone who has been around mountaineering pre-internet knows that second guessing and criticizing accidents is not a new internet phenomenon.

Postby BHallDDS » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:19 pm

rickinco123 wrote:Interesting how people who were ready to criticize passing judgement without the whole story first came here to gloat and then when the analysis doesn't go the way they were hoping they throw a tantrum. It appears to me that quite a bit of the criticism from the initial thread is standing up when you look at their written account. Their beta, and therefore preparation, were sub par, their insistence that freezing rain, snow and then rain is some crazy weather event on Longs shows they did not learn a lot, and their failure to seemingly understand where they even were after the event is astonishing. Yeah I guess 2 engineers who work for a gear company brought gear, at least they were somewhat prepared. I would also like to know what kind of influence they were/are trying to peddle with politicians, why are US Senators being thanked for a rescue? Meanwhile the little people at the Park are given last mention and certainly no names are dropped there. It is quite a feat they got out unscathed but I am not impressed by their decision making.

Anyone who has been around mountaineering pre-internet knows that second guessing and criticizing accidents is not a new internet phenomenon.

+1

Postby TallGrass » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Interest edits of the pic I posted :lol: , but no answers to the question posed. And I'm adding the McDs to my route plan! :mrgreen:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

PreviousNext