Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

October 97 Snowstorm

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: October 97 Snowstorm

Postby guitmo223 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:05 pm

luckylabgirl wrote:So where were you during the October 97 snowstorm?

I had a baaaaad premonition about the storm, so I went up Ute Pass early from work and spent the next few days in front of the fireplace, right where I am now.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Mountainman18 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:38 pm

TK, what high school in Littleton?

Postby summitrunner » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I was a sophomore in high school at Berthoud High School. My cross country team was heading to state (1 boy, the girls team...the boys finished 5th and one spot away :( so I wasn't going). That evening they were heading down to Pueblo and my coach asked if I would go. I really wanted to but decided to stay in Berthoud and work that next day (Berthoud Ace Hardware). My little sister was a footbal manager and was headed out to Sterling for a football game...now the story is set...

That night BHS football got whooped by Sterling in white out conditions. They got on the bus and started heading west on I-76 because CO HWY 6 to Fort Collins was closed...something about massive drifts that were swallowing up cars. As they limped into Fort Morgan a sate troopper closed down the interstate and my sister was then stuck. The trooper let them head back east to Brush because that was the only hotel left that had room. My sister was now stuck in Brush with 50 football players and the only places to eat were Arby's, Wendy's, and a gas station. I wouldn't see her until Sunday afternoon.

I went to work the next morning. I shoveled a goat path to the car and my mom drove the 6 blocks I usually biked to work. The snow was half way up to my knees....about 16 inches Trees were down everywhere. At the hardware store we sold out of shovels, snow-blowers, and the small amount of rock salt in two hours. The boss let me go home early...no one was coming in after we put a sign on the door that said sold out. My mom and I ate some tatsy nachos that night, watched game 6 of the World Series (Marlins vs Indians). I really wanted the Indians to win. My mom and I considered driving out to Brush to pick up my sister. We had discovered later that there were 10 foot snow drifts all over the eastern plains.

Sunday came and we waited for her, my sister, to come home. I found out that morning that the state XC meet had been canceled. I later found out Monday my teammates were stranded in CO Springs. The one boy that had qualified was having a blast with the all girls...they went back down the next weekend to be confronted with 80 degree temps in Pueblo. Noon rolled around and my sister was home. It took them four hours to drive home, but they were home. Some boys didn't have any thing to wear except the jerseys and pads they wore to the game. The Marlins won that night, I turned off the TV, went to bed, and school was in session the next morning, the snow was gone Monday afternoon.

I will never forget what happened that weekend. Something to tell my grandkids about...of course I will glorify it a bit more...like I walked to work, two miles, uphill both ways, with drifts, etc.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby ColoradoGuy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:19 pm

Ah yes, the Blizzard of October 1997! ;)

I had just moved to Colorado from the east coast and was renting a house with another guy in the NE part of Colorado Springs. We were pretty much snowed in for about two days and couldn't even drive on the cookie-cutter suburban road we lived on. That was definitely an intense snowstorm.

The Denver Broncos, by the way, were snowed in at the Denver Airport for quite awhile that weekend, and they made it to Buffalo, NY just a few hours before the game started (if I remember correctly). Denver won 23-20 in overtime enroute to their first championship season ever. ;)

-Steve
Last edited by ColoradoGuy on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby summitrunner » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:35 pm

YES! Steve Atwater was stranded at his house and he used a snowmobile to get to the airport! I think the Broncos were the only people to leave that day from DIA and all of the riots at McDonalds because they ran out of food in the airport!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE

Postby TK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:52 pm

[quote="Mountainman18"]TK, what high school in Littleton?[/quote]

I went to Littleton High School. Where do you go?

One more storm I should mention; Driving back from Kansas City after Thanksgiving last year, I got marooned in Western Kansas for 3 days! The wind piled up snow drifts that filled in the overpasses where country rodes passed over I-70, and the plow drivers dang near killed themselves cutting through under the bridges! I distinctly remember driving through snow tunnels after the road was cleared. In some cases, the snow drifts piled OVER THE TOP OF THE OVERPASSES! Lesson learned: never park under a bridge in a storm.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Aspen Summit » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:16 am

I was in college at DU! 8)

I can't believe my butt is in Philly while a snowstorm hit Colorado. *shakes head* I need to look for a job in back home and quit lingering here.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Re: October 97 Snowstorm

Postby jfox » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:54 am

VWLover wrote:
jfox8541 wrote:
luckylabgirl wrote:So where were you during the October 97 snowstorm?

Quantico, VA
USMC

Were you in OCS?

Yes...sort of...I was an instructor....not a candidate.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:14 am

I think that was the storm that really massacred the trees in North Cheyenne Canyon, Colorado Springs. I hiked the Mt Cutler trail with a side trip to Muscoco Mtn a few days later, and counted 75 downed trees in two miles of trail.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby elkheart22 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:02 am

Scott, the snowstorm in October of 84 was much worse for most of Colorado. except Denver.

I was in Gunnison in 84, I was pushing snow with my front bumper
on my 76 jeep.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby highaltmama » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:40 pm

Am I the only one who was affected by the blizzard of March 18-19 of 2003? :?

"Colorado Blizzard of March 2003
Colorado was hit with a record-setting blizzard from 18-19 March 2003. The Rocky Mountains received as much as 87 inches (7.25 feet) of snow in some places. According to the National Weather Service, Denver received 31.5 inches, the largest amount since December 1913 when 45.7 inches fell. The storm left behind a blanket of snow that stretched from Wyoming and Nebraska, through Colorado, and down into the peaks of New Mexico's Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the north-central part of the state. In Colorado, the snow extended to the plains."

We had 54 inches in Idledale, and Evergreen had about 6 or 7 feet! We couldn't leave the house for 3 days. No power, fireplace was lit constantly for heat, used the Coleman stove for food when the propane on the grill ran out.

It was crazy! We had to get on the roof and shovel the snow off so that our roof wouldn't cave in! :!:

Postby Aubrey » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:27 pm

highaltmama wrote:Am I the only one who was affected by the blizzard of March 18-19 of 2003? :?

"Colorado Blizzard of March 2003
Colorado was hit with a record-setting blizzard from 18-19 March 2003. The Rocky Mountains received as much as 87 inches (7.25 feet) of snow in some places. According to the National Weather Service, Denver received 31.5 inches, the largest amount since December 1913 when 45.7 inches fell. The storm left behind a blanket of snow that stretched from Wyoming and Nebraska, through Colorado, and down into the peaks of New Mexico's Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the north-central part of the state. In Colorado, the snow extended to the plains."

We had 54 inches in Idledale, and Evergreen had about 6 or 7 feet! We couldn't leave the house for 3 days. No power, fireplace was lit constantly for heat, used the Coleman stove for food when the propane on the grill ran out.

It was crazy! We had to get on the roof and shovel the snow off so that our roof wouldn't cave in! :!:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Wasn't here for the '97 storm, but the '03 one was pretty good. Very strange, though. Wasn't that the storm where Lyons and Longmont only got dusted with less than a few inches, yet Boulder (just south) got something like 4 or 5 feet and Estes/RMNP (just NW) got many more feet? Then, I live just 10-15 minutes east-southeast of Longmont and we got at least a couple feet. After the storm, I 4-wheeled around the neighborhood and drove through snowdrifts in the street that came up to the hood of my truck (and snuffed out my headlights).

Don't think we lost power for very long, luckily. But even if we had, we had enough red wine to last a couple days.

My dogs loved it at first, but came to loathe the snow. Even with their long legs, my weimaraner and greyhound's bellies were dragging across the snow as they walked. It was also cold on their hairless, fat-free bodies. I had to clear an area so that they'd go poo. Apparently, neither of them liked the feel of cold snow on their bums.

Got a snow day during that storm. Good times.

Previous