Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When should a 'finisher' respond?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: When should a 'finisher' respond?

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:26 am

Oman wrote:Finisher threads are fun, especially for people who have been on the board for a long time. Vicki has hiked with a lot of people here, including me, and she is the opposite of a glory hound. Why not celebrate somebody who is fun and who could kick the ass of pretty much everyone on this board?

Made me wonder: Who's the longest-termer on 14ers.com who hasn't finished? Will we set off fireworks for Jim Davies?

I'm not sure if Jim Davies intends to "finish". But on an unrelated note, I've met Mr. Davies. Whoo hoo!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 am

Oman wrote:Finisher threads are fun, especially for people who have been on the board for a long time. Vicki has hiked with a lot of people here, including me, and she is the opposite of a glory hound. Why not celebrate somebody who is fun and who could kick the ass of pretty much everyone on this board?

Made me wonder: Who's the longest-termer on 14ers.com who hasn't finished? Will we set off fireworks for Jim Davies?

Jim has it in his mind that he's finished, though... I thought. He was content with ABC (Capitol, not Culebra.)

If not, Jim? I'm hitting Capitol on September 14-15!! \:D/
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby benners » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:47 am

Haha, you all assume way too much :wink:. I don't think anyone here is trying to "come up with a set of unwritten rules", and I'm not positive that I'm a "Gore enthusiast" either (though I wouldn't view that to be an offensive label!). I'm sure the OP did not intend to create more "rules and expectations" by posting this, but rather simply wanted to bring up a topic for discussion because he was bored (and slightly buzzed). Nothing wrong with discussing why/how we do what we do. Along the same vein, I thought I'd ask what people get out of finisher threads as I personally have never really understood them and they weren't always a "thing" on this website. Not sure why that's viewed as such a dramatic question. I've already gotten a few good responses, along with a few defensive ones...
Last edited by benners on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby djkest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 am

mtgirl wrote:After one was started and many people whom I respect took the time to comment, isn't it only natural and common courtesy to respond ? I seriously hate all the drama and forum "rules and expectations". There are bigger things in life to get our panties all wadded up over.

Amen!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 am

SchralpTheGnar wrote:Should I respond in threads about finisher threads?

Should I respond in a thread about finisher threads, about starting a finisher thread?

Relax people! Sheesh :P
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby MUni Rider » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02 am

Can't we just go back to talking about dogs, guns, politics and religion like the good old days? All this talk about people climbing 58 14ers doesn't belong on this website. oh, wait.....
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Well, last I looked, most threads posted relate to those who have not finished all the 14ers - but good information was provided, anyway.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Fisching » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

benners wrote:Along the same vein, I thought I'd ask what people get out of finisher threads as I personally have never really understood them and they weren't always a "thing" on this website.

Virtual BJ's
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Fisching wrote:Virtual BJ's

You got 2 in one week.

viewtopic.php?t=37771&p=454833

viewtopic.php?t=37603&p=452377

Of course, you had to share one of 'em with Surf.

Postby Fisching » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm

12ersRule wrote:
Fisching wrote:Virtual BJ's

You got 2 in one week.

viewtopic.php?t=37771&p=454833

viewtopic.php?t=37603&p=452377

Of course, you had to share one of 'em with Surf.

EDIT: This is a better response. I really only wanted the the part starting at 1:13, but the entire scene is worth it.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby rijaca » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:46 pm

When can you start a 'finisher' thread? I just got a text that an esteemed member has just reached the summit of #58. \:D/
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:49 pm

rijaca wrote:When can you start a 'finisher' thread? I just got a text that an esteemed member has just reached the summit of #58. \:D/

Dave beat you to it!
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

PreviousNext