Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When should a 'finisher' respond?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: When should a 'finisher' respond?

Postby highpilgrim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 pm

d_baker wrote:Tory & Turf, settle down..... The Turf already gave away a bra in a congrats thread, so there's no need to get his panties knotted up too.
And Tory, to each his/her own.

I don't see anything wrong with a congrats thread. If someone sets a goal to do all the 14ers, why not give encouragement along the way and then congratulate them in some form at the end when they achieve?

djkest, interesting guidelines.

Well said, d_baker!

Kumbayas to all involved.

Don't worry, BE HAPPY! Especially finishers.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby SpringsHiker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 am

Brian Thomas wrote:
SpringsHiker wrote:What will I do about the 14ers? Heck, what am I going to DO WITH MY LIFE?!?

Scott- sell your house, quit your job, and move to Hawaii (like Richard M did), and quit hiking and sell/donate all your gear to us left-behinds. Give up mountain climbing and snowboarding, and learn to surf like he did \:D/

And then get recognition when I surf all of the known beaches in Hawaii? :-D
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby benners » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:30 am

Not trying to take the high and mighty route but I've never really understood the need for finisher threads. I understand finisher TRs and try to post a congratulatory comment on them when I see them, but separate congratulatory threads that typically contain no beta or reflection on behalf of the finisher? I know that many finishers don't post TRs throughout their journey, but if they were content not posting about their journey along the way then why would they care to have a post at the end? For those who have had threads, it's only natural to assume that many of them (not all, but many) probably asked a fellow forum member to post it on their behalf. After all it would be socially unacceptable for someone to post their own thread! In the case of someone asking a friend to post a finisher thread, they obviously want something published about their accomplishment (nothing wrong with that) so why wouldn't that person just post their own finisher TR with some beta and commentary/reflection about their journey? I certainly don't understand the need for both a finisher TR and a finisher thread. I'd also add that finisher threads weren't always a "thing" on 14ers.com, people used to just finish and either post a TR or choose not to. At least "teaser" threads stopped as quickly as they started. Those were ridiculous.

EDIT: I forgot the final case which is that someone finishes the 14ers, has no intention of posting anything or asking anyone to post anything, and a friend just decides to do it for them. I'm sure this happens occasionally as well.

Postby Monster5 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

I agree with benners' first statement. I'll congratulate via TR, but threads seem weird. For the most part.
Last edited by Monster5 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 am

benners wrote: I know that many finishers don't post TRs throughout their journey, but if they were content not posting about their journey along the way then why would they care to have a post at the end? For those who have had threads, it's only natural to assume that many of them (not all, but many) probably asked a fellow forum member to post it on their behalf.

I seriously doubt that most finisher threads occur because someone asked a friend to post a thread. Seems that most of the time, the finisher is still playing in the mountains when his/her finisher thread pops up.

I like finisher threads, with all the beta we have on the 14ers, why would someone need to document their entire 14er journey in TR form? I think the finisher thread is a pretty nice way to sum up the whole journey.

Postby nkan02 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:20 am

Monster5 wrote:I agree with benners. I'll congratulate via TR, but threads seem weird. For the most part.

Sounds like an attempt by Gore enthusiasts to come up with yet another set of unwritten rules for the forum behavior :-"

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:35 am

Apparently my friend and I committed some serious forum sins when we finished. A finisher thread was posted by a friend of mine, I posted a TR, and I (this is the biggest sin of all) responded to the thread.

People worry about this? Who cares?

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:38 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:Apparently my friend and I committed some serious forum sins when we finished. A finisher thread was posted by a friend of mine, I posted a TR, and I (this is the biggest sin of all) responded to the thread.

People worry about this? Who cares?

Amen, brother.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:51 am

Should I respond in threads about finisher threads?

Postby mtgirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 am

benners wrote:EDIT: I forgot the final case which is that someone finishes the 14ers, has no intention of posting anything or asking anyone to post anything, and a friend just decides to do it for them. I'm sure this happens occasionally as well.

Been avoiding posting on this thread because it was obviously started when my finisher thread popped up........but the above statement holds true for me. For those of you who assume I would ask someone to post a thread boasting about one of my accomplishments.....well........you obviously don't know me well enough. After one was started and many people whom I respect took the time to comment, isn't it only natural and common courtesy to respond ? I seriously hate all the drama and forum "rules and expectations". There are bigger things in life to get our panties all wadded up over.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby semitrueskerm » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:13 am

mtgirl wrote:
benners wrote:EDIT: I forgot the final case which is that someone finishes the 14ers, has no intention of posting anything or asking anyone to post anything, and a friend just decides to do it for them. I'm sure this happens occasionally as well.

Been avoiding posting on this thread because it was obviously started when my finisher thread popped up........but the above statement holds true for me. For those of you who assume I would ask someone to post a thread boasting about one of my accomplishments.....well........you obviously don't know me well enough. After one was started and many people whom I respect took the time to comment, isn't it only natural and common courtesy to respond ? I seriously hate all the drama and forum "rules and expectations". There are bigger things in life to get our panties all wadded up over.

Ditto, mtgirl. I had the same approach last weekend. Someone was kind enough to congratulate me (on their own, without my solicitation), and I was appreciative of the additional congratulations. Thus, I also responded, as I felt it was appropriate to thank them and others for the well-wishes. I think the majority of the congratulatory threads are unsolicitated. I honestly think it's just an act of kindness for someone else to recognize how big of an accomplishment finishing is. I think we (myself included) sometimes get a bit jaded and cynical, as we are all climbers, and get a bit caught up in "one upmanship." When I take a step back, I often just reflect on how lucky we all are to have our health and some spectular mountains and friends to share them with. I will continue to congratulate all finishers, as to each individual, it *IS* a significant accomplishment, it's inspiring, and it's something that unites us all in achieving a common goal. Hell, making just one summit is an accomplishment! Just ask my flatlander family who made their first only summit on Pikes Peak this past weekend.

Postby Oman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:23 am

Finisher threads are fun, especially for people who have been on the board for a long time. Vicki has hiked with a lot of people here, including me, and she is the opposite of a glory hound. Why not celebrate somebody who is fun and who could kick the ass of pretty much everyone on this board?

Made me wonder: Who's the longest-termer on 14ers.com who hasn't finished? Will we set off fireworks for Jim Davies?

PreviousNext