Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When should a 'finisher' respond?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: When should a 'finisher' respond?

Postby 12ersRule » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
rijaca wrote:When can you start a 'finisher' thread? I just got a text that an esteemed member has just reached the summit of #58. \:D/

Dave beat you to it!

I doubt they've even left the summit yet.

Postby benners » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Alright I admit it's pretty cool to see someone finish the 14ers in real time, and I can imagine as a finisher it would be pretty special to find a bunch of fellow forum members congratulating you the next time you visited the site. Perhaps I should be slower to question common practices that make up the 14ers.com culture. As for the OP's question, when it's your party you're typically entitled to show up whenever you like :P.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:31 pm

djkest wrote:
Oman wrote:Finisher threads are fun, especially for people who have been on the board for a long time. Vicki has hiked with a lot of people here, including me, and she is the opposite of a glory hound. Why not celebrate somebody who is fun and who could kick the ass of pretty much everyone on this board?

Made me wonder: Who's the longest-termer on 14ers.com who hasn't finished? Will we set off fireworks for Jim Davies?

I'm not sure if Jim Davies intends to "finish". But on an unrelated note, I've met Mr. Davies. Whoo hoo!

Not this year, for various reasons. Since I'm unlikely to be able to "climb my age" for the 4th time (currently have 54 at age 55), I might be able to finish on the 20th anniversary of my first summit (September 1994).

And I'm still driving your old Corolla. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby JROSKA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 am

Jon Frohlich wrote:Apparently my friend and I committed some serious forum sins when we finished. A finisher thread was posted by a friend of mine, I posted a TR, and I (this is the biggest sin of all) responded to the thread.

People worry about this? Who cares?

I agree with this sentiment. I understand that in a lot of areas of life, there is a certain etiquette to be followed. Fine, I think we all agree that a finisher probably shouldn't post their own thread. But other than that, can't we just let people celebrate how they want to celebrate? It's quite an accomplishment. I doubt that I will be a finisher, but if it were to happen, I can't imagine how excited and proud I would be. If someone posted a thread, honoring the accomplishment, I certainly wouldn't be sitting there at home thinking and worrying about whether it's rude to respond, or when to do it. Actually, if people are honoring and congratulating you, I think it's rude NOT to respond.

Anyways, on individual summits, I see people celebrating in various ways. Taking a video, asking someone to take a picture of them, shouting, praying, having a beer. Who cares? And when it gets to the level of finishing all of the 14ers, I really don't think we should be too picky in analyzing how people who accomplish that goal behave in the first hours or days after they reach it.

Postby djkest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:59 am

Jim Davies wrote:Not this year, for various reasons. Since I'm unlikely to be able to "climb my age" for the 4th time (currently have 54 at age 55), I might be able to finish on the 20th anniversary of my first summit (September 1994).

And I'm still driving your old Corolla. :)

Jim, glad the car is still going. It was a good car for us!

Also, sounds like you could have plenty of company on Capitol Peak, BTW we are doing it September 1st. :)
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby JChitwood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Like Jim Davies above, I am hoping to finish on the 20th anniversary of my first climb which was July 21, 1994. And I will have to post my own finisher thread since I don't climb on a regular basis with any of you guys.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood

Postby James Dziezynski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 am

"I finished the 14ers and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Previous