Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When should a 'finisher' respond?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

When should a 'finisher' respond?

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Unless I am missing something this has to be a record number of pages without an appearance by the finisher in question. :)

I saw the above quote in a 'congrats' thread for someone finishing the 14ers. So, what is the proper etiquette for the finisher to respond? Should the finisher respond at all? Should the finisher respond after seeing it, or wait?
You know, because I'm pretty sure some of the finishers spend a LOT of time on the site, so you know (or at least I think) they must see the thread that is going on in their honor.

I'm not trying to stir up anything. But this is something that I recently had thought about for some reason, and the above quote made me decide to ask.
And, I might have a slight buzz...

Re: When should a 'finisher' respond?

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Only if they feel they have topped the pyramid of Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs, "Self-Actualization".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:42 pm

The finisher must stoke the fire when the flame is starting to ebb (aka "the 14th minute") when the posts start trickling in at a slower rate.

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 pm

12ersRule wrote:The finisher must stoke the fire when the flame is starting to ebb (aka "the 14th minute") when the posts start trickling in at a slower rate.

14th minute - in reference to the 15 minutes of fame? LMFAO! :lol:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby jam6880 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I finished all the 14ers a couple of years and I did not even have a thread to tell everybody that I finished. Respond to that one d_baker? I should of have started my own thread or payed some one to do it for me? Questions????

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 pm

jam6880 wrote:I finished all the 14ers a couple of years and I did not even have a thread to tell everybody that I finished. Respond to that one d_baker? I should of have started my own thread or payed some one to do it for me? Questions????

Want me to start one for you?! It won't cost you anything! It's not too late....

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:14 pm

d_baker wrote:
jam6880 wrote:I finished all the 14ers a couple of years and I did not even have a thread to tell everybody that I finished. Respond to that one d_baker? I should of have started my own thread or payed some one to do it for me? Questions????

Want me to start one for you?! It won't cost you anything! It's not too late....

Actually, it is too late...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41155
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Fisching » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:Only if they feel they have topped the pyramid of Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs, "Self-Actualization".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

New 14ers game: Anytime Brian Thomas posts on a forum or leaves a comment on a Trip Report about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, you drink.
On a related note, please know where your local AA meetings take place.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Fisching.
That is not nice.
You know Brian is just a to be/not to be (that is the question) finisher. He just needs to sort it out. But maybe it's that pyramid thing that he's up against. Dude, I looked at the list. B-Thom can crush it. I know he can.

Postby Fisching » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:45 pm

d_baker wrote:Fisching.
That is not nice.
You know Brian is just a to be/not to be (that is the question) finisher. He just needs to sort it out. But maybe it's that pyramid thing that he's up against. Dude, I looked at the list. B-Thom can crush it. I know he can.

Ha. Way to send my crashing out of Maslow's 4th level of the hierarchy, Esteem.

Also, the musings of a slightly buzzed D_Baker need to make posts more often.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby d_baker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Fisching wrote:the musings of a slightly buzzed D_Baker need to make posts more often.

You spelled my name wrong. It's a lower case d. Get it right.
And what are you saying, that I'm normally a bore?! I'm a swamp dude, biotch.

Postby ThuChad » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Maybe there should be an automatic post in a "finisher forum" that is triggered when you check off all the boxes on your peak list. Of course there would have to be checks and balances to keep out the 14er fakers.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Next