Lake Como Road's Revenge

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Lake Como Road's Revenge

Post by djkest »

Must have been a really bad weekend for adventurers on Lake Como road.

First, we saw a brand new Land Rover / Range Rover with upgraded mud tires coming down. We noticed that the rear left wheel was wobbling back and forth. They told me that the wheel was being held on by a nylon strap. Major suspension damage.

Next, we saw a Yamaha Raptor (side by side ATV) that had snapped the left rear wheel had come off. It was right above JAWS 3. They must have been able to fix it because it was gone by 1PM the next day. We ran into their buddies the previous day and they had destroyed both front fenders.

And lastly, it looks like someone rolled their ATV off the side of JAWS 1 and were trying to winch it back up to the road. Hopefully no one was injured.

Myself, I hit my frame on the way down just above the "bear country" sign; truck made it home so it's probably fine. I only drove to about 9,500 feet.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
MountainDawg
14ers: 58  8  23 
13ers: 119
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Lake Como Road's Revenge

Post by MountainDawg »

como road would be cool on an atv (not bad).
Dezelrig
14ers: 37  1  2 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dezelrig »

:-D
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

When I was there Wednesday I drove to what some call jaws 1/2. I was passed by an atv and left the truck about 10 minutes after they passed me. I repassed the same atv about 15 minutes before lake como. They were winching over an obstacle. I offered to help in exchange for a beer from their cooler but they declined. I saw them pull into lake como about an hour after I got there. Long story short- atv is still slower than walking on that road.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Justin9 wrote:When I was there Wednesday I drove to what some call jaws 1/2. I was passed by an atv and left the truck about 10 minutes after they passed me. I repassed the same atv about 15 minutes before lake como. They were winching over an obstacle. I offered to help in exchange for a beer from their cooler but they declined. I saw them pull into lake como about an hour after I got there. Long story short- atv is still slower than walking on that road.
Not if you're an experienced rider. On my atv, it usually takes me about 45 minutes to get from the absolute bottom of the road all the way to the lake, without using the winch.

There was that one time someone left a Land Rover hanging off the side of Jaws 1 and tied a climbing rope from the vehicle to a tree on the other side of the road. :roll: That made for an interesting atv maneuver under the rope and I was kind enough not to cut it on them.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Sorry, and I'm not kidding, it was raining so hard on the way down that we didn't take any pics. We did however pass a group of ATVs while hiking and beat them down to the bottom. It was very slick and muddy up there.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

When I was up there in my Cherokee in 2011, I saw how easy it would be to roll off left while trying to bypass Jaws 1.
I couldn't manouver it, and in trying to slip around left, I almost went over left. I actually teetered a little bit while backing off, and had 2 guys stand on the right front corner for traction. Got lucky. I parked there for the night.
Did also see a Toyota rip open his t-case on Jaws 1.
I thankfully have no need to attempt that road again.
Whew, I was almost a Colorado statistic. :dead

But I summited Blanca, which was the goal.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
jeffs
14ers: 45 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffs »

When we walked out this morning there was an Artic cat with a broke left rear and 4 passenger Solaris? With a broke left front.. We talked to them last night before they headed down. Sounds like they were rentals... Sounds like a headache in the works....
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Oh boy, rookies with rentals on lake Como road. Lol
Dezelrig
14ers: 37  1  2 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Dezelrig »

Here's some useful pitchers for rookies that'll hopefully read this thread:

Log placed on the trail (left of the picture) to prevent vehicle spillage down into the ravine (4runner is going downhill from Lake Como):

Just some fun on Jaws1

4Runner is going uphill here and utilized the log:

Here's a good video of the main obstacles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obioFSHT-BQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

I have never understood why anyone would want to drive past Jaws 1. I viewed 10,500' as the practicable limit for a stock, off-road, high ground clearance car. It is not a bad hike from there anyway.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Here's a good video of the main obstacles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obioFSHT-BQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

Total rookies...I had no problem getting my BMW 325ix up there :wink: