Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

thebeav7's Friday Fourteener Project

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: thebeav7's Friday Fourteener Project

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:13 am

On a quick look at Cavedog's times I don't see any more than 8 in 24 hours. He did Sherman through Bierstadt in under 24 hours, finishing Evans to the trailhead in 27 hours for the same group of 9 as Eric yesterday. Of course, it was his ninth straight day and 53rd summit of the marathon, so not surprising he was "slowing down" by then.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby thebeave7 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:01 pm

The most I can find is an old coworker did the same nine 14ers in 23h (using the 3000ft rule going West-East). As mentioned previously Cave Dog did 8, but that is the most I can find anyone else doing in 24h by the 3000ft rule. I have heard of people doing these same nine peaks using the normal trailheads, not by the 3000ft rule (cuts off a lot of elev).

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby MatB » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Nice job Eric! I always enjoy watching you guys (freaks) make incredible time running up and down mountains. Very impressive to say the least.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby jdorje » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Remember the 3000ft rule, so a peak only counts if you descend the 3000 before the 24 hours is up. Cave dog would therefore not get credit for Bierstadt, but "only" for the other 7 summits. The record can be improved upon, then, by doing the same number of summits faster or by doing additional summits (10 peaks in 23:58 would be better than 9 in 18:37 - eventually making Eric regret not taking a nap then doing Sherman this morning). Since the peaks in question (at least through the end of the mosquito) are relatively safe ones, this could be an oft-repeated challenge. Although, it might make it safer to aim for a 19 hour cutoff to remove the element of sleep deprivation (most 14ers in 19 hours).

Just my thoughts! I am reminded of an old post by Doggler pointing out one of the biggest issues with these speed challenges is danger; in that context this particular stretch has relatively little of it, making it a good goal for mortals who are just trying to get into good shape.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby IkeB » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Nice work!

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Steve Bremner and a friend once did 8 14ers totally on foot in 24 hours (Massive->Yale). I haven't heard of anybody else trying this. Krupicka has said that he thinks he can do the first 10 Nolan's 14 peaks in 18 hours, but had to quit after "only" 6 summits in 14 hours a month ago.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby herdbull » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Thank you Eric,
for those of us that sit back, wonder, wish & dream you are a true inspiration and have been a source of personal motivation. I can't count how many times I've been out on a run and wanted to end it but continued on thinking "what would the beav7 do?"

Postby BostonBD » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Incredible inspiration....... Or depressing to know how slow that makes me look. Awesome work Eric.

Postby Stevo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:32 pm

herdbull wrote:Thank you Eric,
for those of us that sit back, wonder, wish & dream you are a true inspiration and have been a source of personal motivation. I can't count how many times I've been out on a run and wanted to end it but continued on thinking "what would the beav7 do?"

Agreed, great job Eric!

Postby James Scott » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 am

Probably a ton more people sit back and root for you than actually post. I've been watching this sort of thing for quite a while and rarely post, but I wonder how many people are actually pulling for you, hitting refresh every 15 minutes and hoping for the record like we're somehow invested.

Thanks for giving so many people a pretty amazing show, and for the other shows you've put on, as well as the other "freaks" on this site!
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."

Postby thebeave7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 am

I finished up a little write up/blog about the run. It was a lot of fun, bummed it didn't go a little better, but that's how some days in the mountains are. Still a great day in the mountains. I'll put it up as a Trip Report as well later today.

http://ericjlee.com/Blogs/?p=306

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby jdorje » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:24 am

Nice story.

From the beginning I was uncertain if you were counting Cameron. But with Sherman that would be 10 counting Cameron so I guess you are not? It doesn't make much difference either way but sounds a bit sexier with one extra peak in there!

PreviousNext