Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lightning Stories

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby jfleisher » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:53 am

Two moments immediately come to mind:

1. When I was about 10 years old, lightning struck a tree across the street, and promptly traveled up the cable tv (which ran under/by the tree), and ended up at the family tv, which we were watching at the time. It turned a kind of yellow (the whole tv literally glowed), then made a loud popping sound, scaring the wits out of the dog that was sleeping next to it. We got the tv fixed, but it was never the same afterwards, when it would oddly flash orange on the screen at random times.

2. When I was climbing Belford and Oxford back in '98, we were traversing over to Oxford, when a massive storm came in quite suddenly, with the buzzing and zippers standing on end and all, and there was simply nowhere to go. We were on the saddle, and the only options were to descend on the north side of the saddle, which if I recall correctly cliffs out, or descend to the south, and end up miles from the car...We ended up waiting it out on the saddle for what seemed like a small eternity until the storm passed, and ever since that day, I've had a much healthier respect for storms when climbing...

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:32 am

I've had numerous entounters and opportunities (Longs Peak, The Needle, Capitol Peak, Challenger Peak, Lost lake-RMNP) to be struck but somehow I've always remained lucky.
This link is however, the closet I've come.
Crestone Needle

Postby lstomsl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:56 am

On the Thunderer in Yellowstone I felt my hair stand up and looked at my companion who had a ZZ top type beard. His beard had split down the middle and the two halves were sticking out perpendicular to his face. If only we hadn't been running to get off the ridge I could have had the best picture ever. Oddly enough it was partly cloudly and there didn't seem to be any cummulus buildup in the immediate vicinity...

Another time I was carrying a "Ram Penetrometer" in a PVC tube on the side of my pack. A penetrometer is basically an aluminum spear used to measure snow hardness. Three of us all experienced the penetrometers buzzing simultaneously and tossed them as far as we could, dropped our packs and hit the dirt. Again, oddly enough it was february in Yellowstone and nobody expected lightning activity.

I knew one guy who had worked on peregrine falcons and spent alot of time hanging on a rope. He has gotten struck 7 times (last I talked to him) and claimed to be unable to use a computer as anytime he walked into a room the computers crashed. I don't know if he had some bizarre magnetic field around him because he was struck seven time or whether he was struck so often because of the bizarre magnetic field but its interesting nonetheless.
It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap - Eric Cartman

Kansas + Lightning = Bad

Postby skwid » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:35 pm

I've got a good one... It involves people from kansas... Mt. Columbia... Lightning... and altitude sickness...

I'm to lazy to type it... you fill in the blanks...

Previous