Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Castle Rock (6585) Another Moron's Marathon

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Castle Rock (6585) Another Moron's Marathon

Postby boudreaux » Wed May 15, 2013 10:47 am

It was one of those spur of the moment events I thought of. My wife was coming home from her parent's on Monday and I knew I would have to give up my mountain time to go swoop in to DIA to get her. So I thought what could I do to occupy myself til that time came. I had an epiphany about Friday night and I would attempt 18 hours of Castle Rock on Sunday afternoon about 2pm. Saturday night arrives and my left hip is hurting all night for some strange reason. By Sunday morning and a half dozen ibuprofens later, I'm doing great and the plan is back on and I get all the crap I need to do this thing. I make a stop at Texas Roadhouse to meet some friends for lunch and scarf down some steak and mac & cheese before finally hitting the Rock a little late at 4pm.

It was a little hot, but not too bad out when I started from the TH. The crowds from Mother's Day were pretty heavy, but by 5:30 most everyone was gone except those few hardy souls who needed a little more punishment to wear off the M/D feast. I went counterclockwise the whole way to get that nice stairmaster effect on the Summit Trail up the southwest side. Every couple of laps, I took a short break to re-hydrate, eat.

I went from 4pm to 10:30pm up and down the 1 mile loop of Rock Park snacking on choc hazelnut sands along the way. At 10:15, I was staggering around like a drunk from lack of sleep and planned a 2 hour nap in the car, that turned into a 4 hour nap and at 2:30 I started up again after doing 11 laps. Well I think those hazelnut sands hit me about that time and I was clinching badly on the way to the toilet at the other TH, ohh and barely made it too!

Everytime I made it up to the base of the rock, I put a pebble on a boulder there to remind myself where I was. All those laps seemed to melt together over time and this was the way I kept it in order. You think about so many things on long hikes you forget how far you went. Lap after lap went by and I eventually did 26 laps on the Rock. A thin sliver of a moon rose about 6:30 and by 10:30 had set. Gave Castle Rock an eerie imposing look. "Better not come up here or I'll eat ya", says the mountain troll guarding his castle!

You get to know the life of the rock well. Some little black birds with red and white bellies, robins kept things interesting. During the night it was the constant hum of the trains going north and south. The southside was lit up from the city lights, the north side was thrown into almost total darkness. The two personalities of Castle Rock fit together nicely, sorta complimenting each other. It's amazing when the birds know it's time to start all the racket at 4:45am, a good while before the sun comes up. I didn't get a real good sunrise either, but the cool night slowly morphed into a nice morning. I thought about quitting at 8am, but managed to keep it going til 12pm. A little red fox greeted me at about 8:30 and a few tiny 5 banded chipmunks came out to see what all the fuss was about. Might be the only place where you can see chipmunks outside of the foothills.

As I put sunscreen on, an uninvited guest hitched a ride. Saw my 1st tick of the year crawling rapidly up my belly. The nerve of that guy I thought as I flicked it into oblivion.

All in all it was a pretty good haul and got my marathon in 15 1/2 hours over a 20 hour period. I roughly covered 27 miles and climbed about 6,760' of elevation. I believe it's about 260' from the loop jct to the base of the rock.

So I was a mo-ron, it was just moronic, mo, mo, moron-ical! Absolutely Brilliant!

I had this song playing in my mind:

Hey, come on try a little
Nothing is forever
There's got to be something better
In the middle
But me & Cinderella
We can put it all together
We can drive it home
With one headlight

The Wallflowers; One headlight
Last edited by boudreaux on Wed May 15, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ragin Cajun

Re: Castle Rock (6585) A Moron's Marathon

Postby boudreaux » Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

James, my friend, because I can! Enough Said! 8) Thanks for asking!
Ragin Cajun

Re: Castle Rock (6585) A Moron's Marathon

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Awesome. I recall another marathon you ran while back (was it the incline perhaps). Regardless, this is really cool.

Not to diverge and talk about myself, but I know the feeling you describe of getting to know the mountain and almost becoming part of it (sappy alert!!). Did a 10hour binge on Sanitas in march and it was a remarkable experience that I would love to repeat.

Thanks for the reminder....as if I had forgotten :-D
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Re: Castle Rock (6585) Another Moron's Marathon

Postby boudreaux » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 pm

That other one was Jeff Kunkle on the incline! The difference between me and you guys is that I don't run, so y'all are the real badasses. I just plod methodically on and on!
Ragin Cajun

Postby boudreaux » Sat May 18, 2013 7:20 am

This is what I ate/drank during the marathon:

4 Jif choc hazelnut sandwiches, this stuff is very sweet, like eating a choc donut, I like Justin's hazelnut better
12 Nature Valley honey and oats granola bars
Jolly Rancher hard candy
3 qts water
3 qts gatorade

After picking up the wife, we hit Old Santa Fe Mexican Restaurant in Parker, had carnitas with a couple very cold Tecate' beers, maybe the coldest beer I've ever had!

On Tuesday am, I drank 4 of those Muscle Milks as a recovery drink. Anyone have any thoughts on Muscle Milk? Good, bad or indifferent?
Ragin Cajun

Postby doggler » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

Every rock deserves a marathon.

Postby dehrlich101 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:40 pm

boudreaux wrote: On Tuesday am, I drank 4 of those Muscle Milks as a recovery drink. Anyone have any thoughts on Muscle Milk? Good, bad or indifferent?

You're body can only take in a small amount of protein at one time. While 4 muscle milks wouldn't hurt, just drinking a simple glass of milk will give your body enough protein after a run. The body will just dispose of the excess protein that it cannot absorb.

Good job on the Marathon BTW.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ