Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Movie about 2008 K2 tradgedy - The Summit

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Movie about 2008 K2 tradgedy - The Summit

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Currently playing at Sundance and getting great reviews, trailer looks very promising.

http://filmguide.sundance.org/film/13059/the_summit
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Re: Movie about 2008 K2 tradgedy - The Summit

Postby Fisching » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:55 pm

When it comes to K2 there is only one movie that matters.

Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

The new movie looks pretty good, but I bet it's lacking in explosions.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Fisching wrote:When it comes to K2 there is only one movie that matters.

That's where you're wrong. I'll forgive you because you were born in like 1995.

Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Fisching » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:39 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
Fisching wrote:When it comes to K2 there is only one movie that matters.

That's where you're wrong. I'll forgive you because you were born in like 1995.

I don't see any nitroglycerin in that film.

Doesn't count.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby seano732 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:40 pm

@surf- Hahaha! That movie was SO bad........Badass that is!!! " They climbed the mountain for you....you can't leave them to die up there!!" Fricking AWESOME! =D>

Postby GeezerClimber » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 am

Hopefully it will be better than "Into Thin Air". That was a major disappointment after reading the book. I just read "Buried In The Sky" about the 2008 tragedy. What struck me was that most of the mistakes were the same as those made when people get into trouble on our 14ers.

Dave

Postby colokeith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

I'd watch it!! here is the trailer
http://youtu.be/Mmzi_l0E6H4
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby 434stonemill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

The Summit will be shown twice at this year's Boulder International Film Festival. Both showings are on Saturday Feb 16. In the afternoon it is playing at 2:30 pm at Boulder Theater. In the evening it is playing at 5:00 pm at the new e-Town Hall.

Check out http://www.biff1.com/ for tickets and schedule.