Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Biking 14ers

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Biking 14ers

Postby Skip Perkins » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:17 pm

A few years ago I delivered my son and 3 of his friends to the eastern base of Bross/Lincoln, a bit NW of Alma. We found some jeep roads that headed toward the mountains and started riding upward. After riding and pushing our bikes for several hours we noticed the amount of snow on Bross so we angled toward Lincoln and stayed with the jeep road that took us to the old mine just under the summit of Lincoln. At the mine we abandoned our bikes for the 5 minute trip to the summit. The youth loved the view and enjoyed a lunch at the top. Our trip down was much quicker, but my hardtail Marin told me that full suspension would be the preferred wheels of a 14er bike. I believe a ski trip would be more sensible but it's fun looking at the biking pictures.

Postby skier25 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:05 pm

When I was on Sherman, a guy had hauled a full unicycle up to the summit. :shock: He was in full protective gear and is, I guess, trying to get three rotations of the wheel while riding it on all the 14er summits. A pretty awkward thing to carry up a mountain, eh? He'll have trouble on a few of them, definitely!
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Daniel Trugman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:20 pm

Loads of people bike down the Barr trail of Pikes Peak. Its appeal is due mostly to easy, nonclimbing access to the summit and an easy enough descent(even though it's class one, it would still be pretty intense).
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Postby dunking_deutschman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:23 pm

skier25 wrote:When I was on Sherman, a guy had hauled a full unicycle up to the summit. :shock: He was in full protective gear and is, I guess, trying to get three rotations of the wheel while riding it on all the 14er summits. A pretty awkward thing to carry up a mountain, eh? He'll have trouble on a few of them, definitely!

I've seen that guy. You gotta love it.
...in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen - Genesis 8:5

Postby Doug Shaw » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:07 pm

skier25 wrote:When I was on Sherman, a guy had hauled a full unicycle up to the summit. :shock: He was in full protective gear and is, I guess, trying to get three rotations of the wheel while riding it on all the 14er summits. A pretty awkward thing to carry up a mountain, eh? He'll have trouble on a few of them, definitely!

That would probably have been my friend George. I believe he's also done Elbert, Grays and Torreys, and Evans (via the road) on his uni.

Postby johnner » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:17 am

A couple of friends of mine rode Mt Elbert from the Twin Lakes trailhead. There is a trip report at:
http://www.topofusion.com/diary/2005/08 ... mt-elbert/
There was alot of hikeabike involved, but overall, most of it was done in the saddle.

Postby collier » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:29 am

Colorado Public Radio recently aired a story about a man from Aspen who rides his unicycle to the top of 14ers.

To hear it, go to:
http://www.kcfr.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=234

(Scroll down to Sep. 12th.)