Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

El Diente from Kilpacker

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
User avatar
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Anyone have any Waypoints or a trail mapped out on GPS?

Heard there were a few issues with route finding, did not appear that there were any waypoints on the GPS file in the El Diente Route. Maybe I was justing missing something.

Any insight will be much appreciated.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby tmathews » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm

J-RockandRockpile wrote:Anyone have any Waypoints or a trail mapped out on GPS?

Heard there were a few issues with route finding, did not appear that there were any waypoints on the GPS file in the El Diente Route. Maybe I was justing missing something.

Any insight will be much appreciated.


Check my TR for the El D/Mt. Wilson traverse in my profile. I uploaded a gpx file. The file is just the raw gps points; you'll have to create waypoints in your mapping software to be able to load the file completely into your receiver. The trail is relatively easy to follow, though.

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby BobbyFinn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I agree that the trail isn't too bad to follow - even in the dark. We got a little confused on a dark night at a creek crossing, but a little faith in our compass work and we found the trail ok. That was the only time I remember an issue with staying on the trail. We carried Bill's route description with us and it helped a lot.
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

User avatar
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby nfire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 am

BobbyFinn wrote:I agree that the trail isn't too bad to follow - even in the dark. We got a little confused on a dark night at a creek crossing, but a little faith in our compass work and we found the trail ok. That was the only time I remember an issue with staying on the trail. We carried Bill's route description with us and it helped a lot.

ha. me and a buddy hit what i assume to be the same crossing at around 8pm on a 19 mile day (maybe not a lot for some here, but the furthest i've ever hiked in one day by a significant amount). i almost started crying like a baby. took us 45 to find the trail on the other side.

User avatar
Posts: 893
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 am

tmathews wrote:
J-RockandRockpile wrote:Anyone have any Waypoints or a trail mapped out on GPS?

Heard there were a few issues with route finding, did not appear that there were any waypoints on the GPS file in the El Diente Route. Maybe I was justing missing something.

Any insight will be much appreciated.


Check my TR for the El D/Mt. Wilson traverse in my profile. I uploaded a gpx file. The file is just the raw gps points; you'll have to create waypoints in your mapping software to be able to load the file completely into your receiver. The trail is relatively easy to follow, though.


I will check this out - thanks Terry, I appreciate it!
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6504
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 am

Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby nfire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

if you get to that creek crossing and it's dark out, cross over and look up the hill to your right. i assume we were confused at the same spot.

User avatar
Posts: 921
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 pm
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby nkan02 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 am

My TR has .gpx file, as well as Doctor No's (and his group stayed on track). Just search the El D TRs and see which ones have a .gpx track (not that many though). Although I did not have any issues with stream crossing in the basin, I couldn't see/find the trail coming down from El Diente near 13,800k. If you go up and down the same way, you should have no problem. Route is well cairned.
Last edited by nkan02 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: El Diente from Kilpacker

Postby nfire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am

sorry... to be clear, our confusing creek crossing was on the route that tmathews mapped out up there above (the one that includes the traverse and coming around the other side of the ridge to avoid that nasty gully).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest