Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Black Hearse

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

The Black Hearse

Postby hillhag » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:50 am

When I climbed Longs 2 years ago I looked down in that strange circular area below the Narrows that contains that rock that is called "The Black Hearse". I've been curious ever since about what that rock looks like from down there, and about that area in general. I would like to explore in there. From what I've seen from maps, the only possible place to hike that is anywhere near it is Keplinger lake, which is a pretty long hike just to get there. Is anyone in the world curious about that besides me? My husband will humor me and go on the hike, but a little information would be helpful. Mainly I guess I would need to know if I need technical gear, or whether this might be a backpacking situation. Thanks to anyone who has a clue, or even shares my curiosity!

Postby dunking_deutschman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:44 am

I would stay out of that area. I have not heard of anyone visiting except Jim Detterline or similar ranger on body recovery detail. I would guess you could rappel from the Narrows. If you really want to try to hike there, be ready for some difficult terrain. There are cliffs below that block easy passage from the south. Gerry Roach describes a class 3 descent from the narrows along the Keyboard of the Winds in his 14ers guide if I remember correctly, but I don't know the feasability of a "traverse to the Hearse" from there. I have read an account on this website of someone who scrambled from the narrows all the way to Pagoda's summit, but I do not recall who or exactly when. Anyone ever venture out there? I get chills just contemplating a freeclimb down the Keyboard ridge from the narrows.
...in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen - Genesis 8:5

Postby Bean » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:20 am

If you're coming from the Loft, it's a (relatively) quick detour to go see it.

traverse to the Hearse

Postby hillhag » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:18 am

dunking_deutschman wrote:I would stay out of that area. I have not heard of anyone visiting except Jim Detterline or similar ranger on body recovery detail. I would guess you could rappel from the Narrows. If you really want to try to hike there, be ready for some difficult terrain. There are cliffs below that block easy passage from the south. Gerry Roach describes a class 3 descent from the narrows along the Keyboard of the Winds in his 14ers guide if I remember correctly, but I don't know the feasability of a "traverse to the Hearse" from there. I have read an account on this website of someone who scrambled from the narrows all the way to Pagoda's summit, but I do not recall who or exactly when. Anyone ever venture out there? I get chills just contemplating a freeclimb down the Keyboard ridge from the narrows.

Thanks for the info,dd..."body recovery detail" certainly would be an appropriate task there...maybe I'll ask Jim the next time I see him.
I'm not much interesting in going down from the Narrows, I just want to hike to the area and see it down there. Probably at this point, I'll have to wait until next summer to go exploring. Bad news about the cliffs, but intriguing news about the possibility of scrambling to Pagoda's summit. Hmmm.