Above the Clouds

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Above the Clouds

Post by Derek »

Some from around Colorado over the past couple years:

Looking east from on the way up Longs:

Looking down from Democrat:

Quandary's West Ridge:

West from Bison Peak:

North from Windy Peak:
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

The one in this trip report came to mind as a favorite for the category:

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include

R
Kevo
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Kevo »

High Above the Clouds in One of My Favorite Corners of Nepal-

Another from Nepal-

Above the Clouds On Denali

This is what it looks like when you rappel into a cloud-

More ridiculousness in AK-

Denali's Camp Three, Mt Hunter and Kahiltna Dome above the clouds-
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

Whiteface Mt., Adirondacks, NY, from 2005.

Best Regards
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Just to show that you don't have to get totally crazy to get above the cloud shots:
0_201207302347541_l.jpg
0_201207302347541_l.jpg (202.6 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
Taken at the base of Father Dyer Peak this Saturday at about 6:40 AM. I do wish we could have been a bit further up the mountain before clouds burned off and gotten a better perspective.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
GregMiller
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

mtngoat wrote:From Meteoroligist Joel Gratz.

"For any Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins folks looking for a unique sunrise photo on Saturday morning...
Front range friends... You might want to wake up early on Saturday and hike up a few thousand feet in the foothills. Four day forecasts show a layer of low clouds / fog enveloping the plains around sunrise. Always a super cool photograph to watch the sunset while above the clouds! Here's the model forecast...see where the green line and red line meet near the bottom? That's the model forecasting a saturated airmass near the ground, i.e. fog."
Where do you find this? I'd love to be able to see this more regularly, so I could know when it's worth it to wake up extra early for extra gorgeous views and photos.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

From the Bross-Lincoln Saddle:
Bross-Lincoln
Bross-Lincoln
pano.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Wilson Peak:
Wilson Peak
Wilson Peak
P1010087.JPG (160.13 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
From Mount Yale:
yale
yale
clouds pano.jpg (35.23 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Pikes Peak:
IMG_1859_60_61_tonemapped.jpg
IMG_1859_60_61_tonemapped.jpg (383.65 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

A couple from Rainier:
Rainier Descent
Rainier Descent
IMG_0181_stitch.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Rainier Sunrise
Rainier Sunrise
IMG_0102_stitch.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Kevo wrote:High Above the Clouds in One of My Favorite Corners of Nepal-

Another from Nepal-

Above the Clouds On Denali

This is what it looks like when you rappel into a cloud-

More ridiculousness in AK-

Denali's Camp Three, Mt Hunter and Kahiltna Dome above the clouds-
wow - love those Nepal shots!
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

farcedude wrote:

Where do you find this? I'd love to be able to see this more regularly, so I could know when it's worth it to wake up extra early for extra gorgeous views and photos.

This was posted on OpenSnow this morning with the airmass graph.
http://www.facebook.com/findopensnow
GregMiller
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

shaunster_co wrote:
farcedude wrote:

This was posted on OpenSnow this morning with the airmass graph.
http://www.facebook.com/findopensnow
Thanks! Now to find a good vantage point for Saturday morning!
Still Here
Langston Hughes
TCUTED
Trip Reports (4)

Post by TCUTED »

Not to be a downer or poo poo anything, but I'm always a bit skeptical of those low level layers predicted a week out, especially from the GFS. I don't know a ton about how these "Above the Clouds" set ups work out here, but I go under the general assumption that they are possible most mornings this time of year and will most likely set up where the previous days thunderstorm action was most active, and where the rain lingered longest into the night (I have had some good success forecasting these using this method). Now, there are certainly large scale patterns that will favor these set ups along the foothills which I am not super familiar with, so I won't dare venture out and say whether or not the GFS is predicting one of these. But, if the moist layer shown is associated with remnant convection predicted by the model and not with the large scale pattern, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. But hey, if its raining all night Friday where you are along the foothills, could be a good chance the low-clouds forecast will verify!

Also, since I did see another post from the 'Daks, here is my above clouds contribution!
Attachments
Summit of Gothics: January
Summit of Gothics: January
Gothics_Small.jpg (159 KiB) Viewed 3189 times