Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New book, new ideas?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

New book, new ideas?

Postby samuelnoble1893 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Hello everyone! So i am writing a book, the first time i have ever done it so i am a noob. But the topic of the book is how to live a better, richer, fuller life, using examples from mountaineering. The book is going to be Christ based, so if you are a christian feel free to pitch in. I am just looking for more topics. My favorite chapter i have written, is on a verse in matthew, "the road to christ is narrow, only a few find it" so i decided to write the chapter using an example of the kelso ridge knife edge, then i go on talking about a devotional though about it. So any way, anyone got any ideas, or mountains i can climb that will enlighten new topics? Thanks!!

Re: New book, new ideas?

Postby mike_kadow » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Capitol has a nice knife edge I understand and there are many more out there.

Perhaps something along the lines of knife edges could be more of an inspiration/topic?

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Good luck, my only thought is you will need a good editor.

Postby Dex » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:50 pm

samuelnoble1893 wrote: So i am writing a book, the first time i have ever done it so i am a noob.

Have you published anything before e.g. short stories in a similar vein?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby samuelnoble1893 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Dex wrote:

I dont have anything published anything yet, but i have been writing my whole life, a small hobby of mine, along with mountaineering

Postby Dex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:38 am

samuelnoble1893 wrote:
Dex wrote:

I dont have anything published anything yet, but i have been writing my whole life, a small hobby of mine, along with mountaineering

Then I'd suggest starting small. There are several small outdoor mags out that publish short stories. They probably don't pay much if anything but it will get you some feed back and learn the business.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Jesse M » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 am

Father Dyer might be of interest. There is a 13er with his name you can climb.

Postby alsrun » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 am

Mt. of the Holy Cross should be a goldmine for you with names like Halo Ridge, Bowl of Tears and Angelica Couloir. In fact, there is a post about a rescue on Holy Cross in today's forum.

Postby Shawnee Bob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

My advice would be to pick different mountains for different themes. Some routes are long, arduous and tedious, so to earn their summits it takes patience and metal toughness that deals with running the whole race, as Paul would put it.

Others demand potentially life-altering commitment. I can think of instances of climbing where you have to commit to a move, knowing full well that missing it could be disastrous, but avoiding it by backing down will keep you from your goal. Sort of that whole "crisis of decision" moment, spiritually speaking.

Just some ideas. Mountains specifically and the outdoors in general are full of lessons and metaphors. Don't rush it or force it. Find real themes from your experiences and studies, write them down, organize them and find out what it is you want to say. Then write from there.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/