Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Engaged on Uncompahgre

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Engaged on Uncompahgre

Postby jho » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:53 pm

OK, we're going back a few months to last summer... sorry, I just noticed this thread tonight...

So, I had grand plans of proposing to my wife over the 4th of July weekend '04. Everyone in my life knew except her. We were meeting 3 other climbing couples to summit Wetterhorn that weekend also. However, as for Uncompahgre, it was all ours.

First of all we had to hike the 4 miles or so up that road because all we had was my little Mazda which made it all of about 15 feet up the trail, where we promptly parked, packed and started hiking. It was a long hike, but gorgeous nonetheless. We didn't see another soul as it was the Friday, July 3rd. We were blessed. So, we finally found the trailhead, set up camp, cooked, ate and slept.

The next morning, we rose early, it was a perfectly clear day and there was NOONE else on the trail. It was amazing to feel like we had the entire wilderness and peak to ourselves.

So, we summitted. We could see for miles and miles without another soul around, I dug out the ring that I had been carrying for a few weeks, got down on my knee and asked.

She said yes.

We hiked out, this time with a steady stream of other people on their way up. We met our other couple friends, camped at the base of Wetterhorn and summited it on the 4th. An wonderful 14er weekend to be sure.

We were married in September 2004, and looking forward to more 14ers.

That's our story. Thanks for reading, and thanks for my favorite website!

kingof14ers

Postby kingof14ers » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:34 pm

Congrats!!! What a great way to celebrate life together w/ a favorite pasttime!

Postby SarahT » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:36 pm

That's such a perfect proposal! My 14er hiking buddy and I have actually talked about such a scenario - for me it would be a dream come true. Hopefully our future husbands will be as thoughtful as you!

Postby sonburnt^ » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:40 pm

congrats! thats a great story.. i would love to be in a similar situation w/ my future wife
Seek truth..find God

Postby mr green » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:29 pm

That is pretty cool. Thats how I want to propose. I wonder if anyone has ever been married on top of a 14er. Yeah. What a dumb thing to wonder.
We're way beyond birthdays now...

Postby doumall » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:26 pm

I know a party tried to wed on Blanca, but were turned back by a blizzard. They had a much smaller wedding party near Lake Como.

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:54 pm

What a great story!

Now you've got me thinking should I be in the position to propose at some point! ;)

-Steve

Postby Yog » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:39 am

I recall seeing a story about a couple getting married on top of Mt. Sneffels, had a little reception up there and everything! How great would that be??? :D
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby mclight81 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:46 am

Funny

I just read your story and I also proposed on the top of Uncompagre. It was May 28, 2004. Still a little snowy in parts but not too bad. I hiked Sneffels the week before to check it out but I thought that one would be a little too difficult for the time of year. I even wrote "Marry Me" in the snow on top of Sneffels to get ready for the next weeks occasion.

By the way she said yes