Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Corona Arch Rope Swing

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Corona Arch Rope Swing

Postby Presto » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:27 am

Okay, I know this is not "mountaineering" ... :-$ ... but, it's a couple of pretty cools videos of some crazy people doing some unique stuff in Moab.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?62185-Corona-Arch-Rope-Swing

Credit to the Bogley website.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Re: Corona Arch Rope Swing

Postby SeracZack » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 am

That looks like fun!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby Yikes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 am

That looks scary.

Postby Summit Lounger » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 am

Got to trust the equipment!!!! Excellent fun.

Postby d_baker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Summit Lounger wrote:Got to trust the equipment!!!!

Like Dan Osman did?

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:35 pm

i could watch that stuff all day long....

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 pm

d_baker wrote:
Summit Lounger wrote:Got to trust the equipment!!!!

Like Dan Osman did?

Or those kids up in Boulder swinging off the construction crane?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby mtgirl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to go first......just in case the rope is 10 feet too long. #-o
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby SeracZack » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am

mtgirl wrote:Thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to go first......just in case the rope is 10 feet too long. #-o

They used a backpack with rocks in it to test the rope length. I was thinking the same thing so I watched the behind the scenes video. Kind of cool, a guy actually proposed to his girlfriend as she was hanging from the rope after swinging.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 am

After the Delicate Arch climbing debacle from a couple of years ago, I do wonder if such a stunt is very advisable, and whether or not it would damage the rock.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbctyLpyeC0&context=C31df20dADOEgsToPDskI87UqUyjKAuSngUpr7rn9H

I go out to Moab a couple times a year to mountain bike, climb, play, etc. I shot this right when we got out of the car at the TH for Amasa Back. Couple of base jumpers. Happens there all the time. Right as the vid starts you can see the chutes open and a sec later you can hear the pop echo through the canyon. There's one of my bands songs playing in the background 8)
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby planet54 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm

A lot of daredevils around Moab. I saw 5 BASE jumpers when I was there several years ago. The last guy took a long time to jump ,but he did it. Check out this video at http://www.timmartinphoto.com
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Next