Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

how to use snowshoes

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

how to use snowshoes

Postby Yikes » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

I saw this picture on the net this morning. I think I need some snowshoe lessons... maybe then I'll be able to keep up with the BC skiers heading back to the TH.
Attachments
snowshoe.jpg
rockin it
snowshoe.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 1117 times

Re: how to use snowshoes

Postby Exiled Michigander » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:19 pm

MSR fans, that's what a pair of Tubbs can do for you! (Well, at least they look like Tubbs)

Postby EmmaM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Exiled Michigander wrote:MSR fans, that's what a pair of Tubbs can do for you! (Well, at least they look like Tubbs)

Booyah.

Tubbs fans compose the minority of snowshoe users. It's nice to see fellow Tubb-ers doing cool sh**.

Postby EmmaM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

silverlynx wrote:I'm wondering how many uses I can get out of my cheapie $70 Costco snowshoes before it's time to get the Tubbs or MSRs. So far I'm up to two uses and the metal in the crampons has already bent... For some reason I don't think that would happen with a $180 pair. :-k

Through all the hell I've put my Tubbs, I'm surprised nothing has bent/broken/chipped etc. They're bomber. And they've spent a month hibernating at 13k on Sherman. Still going strong.

Definitely worth investing in a quality pair - although I remember mine being in the 200-250 range. Buy it once, buy it right.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

So you can only do this with Tubbs?

Postby Presto » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Tubbs has great customer service also ... after way over 10 years of use by the hubby, and a subsequent broken buckle/latch, they replaced the entire foot apparatus at no charge to him. =D>
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Yikes wrote:maybe then I'll be able to keep up with the BC skiers heading back to the TH.

:lol:
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Who says those are Tubbs? Atlas ones look practically the same.

So when does freestyle snowshoeing become an Olympic sport?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Fairchild Mountain

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 pm

That's funny
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:12 pm

i was gonna say those look like the older version of my Atlas shoes

Postby Fisching » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:29 pm

I seriously love this pair, and much to my displeasure, EMS lowered the price another $60 as they're now on clearance. As long as your between 120-210lb, you'll be golden.
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11932724&clickid=prod_cs#green
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."