Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Brewing on Bierstadt!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Brewing on Bierstadt!

Postby brewerT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:44 pm

I belong to a homebrewing club in northern Colorado; Liquid Poets Society. On saturday August 12th, myself and 5 cohorts climbed Mt. Bierstadt and brewed an all-grain batch of beer. Needless to say we were the most unusual group on the summit for the 4 hours it took us to complete our brew. We left no trace; everything was packed out, even the 7 pounds of wet grain left over from the mash. I am aware of a group from a club called the 'tribe' who brewed on the summit of Elbert. Since the highest peak honors were taken, we chose the most appropriate; Mt Bierstadt - beer city auf deutsche. I promised several people a post on this page and an update once the beer is ready!

Cheers!

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:52 am

WOW! :D Way to combine life's two great pleasures! Let us know how it turns out...I'd love to try it...
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby speedpolka » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:43 am

First off, Congrats. Second, You guys must be nuts. I am also a homebrewer. What size batch did you make? What style? I cannot even begin to imagine hauling the equipment and ingredients up there. You must be animals. Though now I know that it is entirely possible to really combine my two hobbies. Thanks a lot. (said with a hint of sarcasm)

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:46 am

They took the famous "escalator" up Bierstadt???
Seriously, how much stuff did you take up?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby beazleys » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:52 am

Will the tapping party occur on the summit as well? You could make a mint selling freshly poured pints on the summit of Bierstadt. For those who had no cash, you could probably barter enough gear for an expedition. :)

Postby guitmo223 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:01 am

I'm sure it will taste better then the Fat Tires we hauled up Bierstadt.

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Aspen Summit » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:40 pm

ummm, where the HECK was my invitation???????????????????? huh????

:lol:

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

14er Brewing

Postby schroman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:48 pm

Greetings Fellow High Altitude Brewer,
I am a member of the, now defunct, Tribe homebrew club. On August 30, 1997 eight members of the Tribe homebrew club summitted Mt. Elbert and brewed a partial grain, barleywine. The brew was named Hypoxia, in name of the condition of high altitude sickness. The American Homebrewers Association declared it the highest altitude brew of the Western Hemisphere (apparently someone had brewed at the base camp of Everest). Nearly one year later a group of Homebrewers in California brewed on the top of Mt. Whitney which is higher than Elbert (by about 50ft). We were going to meet these brewers in Death Valley for the lowest brewing record but it never materialized.

I love your choice of mountain. Very cool.
How did your idea :idea: materialize (no doubt homebrew was involved)?
Curt Schroeder

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848)

Postby JB Allen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:23 pm

Congrats, being a pro brewer at one time I really enjoy the post. When do we get to sample the beer? What style did you make? I love it!!!
JB Allen...

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:07 am

Ahhhhh.... the infamous Bierstadt escalator.

Oh, and just so you know, it is 'auf Deutsch', without the 'e' and capitalizing 'Deutsch' since in is a noun. Wird bestimmt gut schmecken! Veil Glueck mit deinem Bier!

Dan
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki