Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jesse M » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Nice Scuba!
This one is more challenging:
How many 14ers are high points in two or more counties?
What are the 14ers and what counties?

Postby Zambo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:14 pm

Awesome thread! Really nice to see something original which isn't just an endless string of repetitive arguments & opinions.

Scuba Steve wrote:
MntOwl wrote:Really neat thread, I keep learning new stuff! I never heard the eagle catching story, way cool!!

Here's another easy one:
What is the only 14er to have a successful air-craft landing on the summit?

That one's easy....Sherman.

I've always wondered about this. Does anyone have any more info on this or (even better!) a video of the landing?

Also, if a plane landed on the summit, I guess it's safe to assume he took off as well, right?
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."

Postby 14erFred » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Tornadoman wrote:This has been a very interested thread so far. Since we have been discussing last recorded ascents, I was thinking about the other side of the coin. Does anyone know when and which 14er has the FIRST recorded 14er ascent?

According to J.L.J. Hart (1977) [Fourteen thousand feet: A history of the naming and early ascents of the high Colorado peaks (Second Edition). Denver, CO: The Colorado Mountain Club], the first recorded ascent of a Colorado 14er was Pikes Peak, by Dr. Edwin James, Lt. William H. Swift, and Bijeau, a French trapper-guide, on July 14, 1820.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby Zambo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Zambo wrote:Awesome thread! Really nice to see something original which isn't just an endless string of repetitive arguments & opinions.

Scuba Steve wrote:
MntOwl wrote:Really neat thread, I keep learning new stuff! I never heard the eagle catching story, way cool!!

Here's another easy one:
What is the only 14er to have a successful air-craft landing on the summit?

That one's easy....Sherman.

I've always wondered about this. Does anyone have any more info on this or (even better!) a video of the landing?

Also, if a plane landed on the summit, I guess it's safe to assume he took off as well, right?

Actually, nm. I got curious, and found this old thread on the topic: http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31853

A very interesting read still.
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."

Postby 14erFred » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:23 pm

14er trivia question: For which Colorado 14er was the first recorded ascent a solo climb by a college student?

Postby Jesse M » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm

In the third edition of the "Roach" guide to Colorado Fourteeners

"One of only three Colorado summits that is the highpoint of two counties, Castle Peak is the highpoint of both Pitkin and Gunnison counties." p. 250

"Blanca Peak is the highest peak in Alamosa, Costilla, and Huerfano counties..."p. 201

"Grays is the highest peak in both Clear Creek and Summit counties..."p. 23

According to Roach, Fletch you were correct except for Crestone;

"Crestone Peak is the highest peak in Saguache County and its subsummit, "East Crestone," is the highest peak in Custer County."p. 174

Postby Kitten » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:07 am

Here is one: who was the first to climb the Diamond of Long's peak and what year?
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby 14erFred » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 am

Kitten wrote:Here is one: who was the first to climb the Diamond of Long's peak and what year?

Dave Rearick and Bob Kamps were the first to climb the Diamond (via a route called D1) in 1960.

14er trivia question: For which Colorado 14er was the first recorded ascent a solo climb by a college student?

Postby 14erFred » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

14erFred wrote:14er trivia question: For which Colorado 14er was the first recorded ascent a solo climb by a college student?

Answer: The first recorded ascent of Mount Princeton was made by William Libbey, Jr. (1855-1927), a graduating senior at Princeton University, who climbed solo to the summit on July 18, 1877. As William M. Bueler wrote in Roof of the Rockies (1986, pp. 142-143), however, "By the time Libbey reached the mountain, a mine had been in existence above timberline on Princeton's slopes for five years, and it would be rash to assume that the miners had never in that time walked up the final slopes to the summit."

Postby 14erFred » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:55 pm

14er trivia question: Which Colorado 14er saw the largest group of climbers on its first recorded ascent, and how how many people were there?

Postby jdorje » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 pm

14erFred wrote:
14erFred wrote:14er trivia question: On how many Colorado 14ers were women part of the team who made the first recorded ascent?

Answer: Women were part of the team who made the first recorded ascent of four Colorado 14ers. These four 14ers are: Crestone Peak [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 24, 1916) ]; Crestone Needle [1 woman-- Eleanor Davis--along with 1 man: Albert Ellingwood (July 24, 1916)]; Kit Carson Mountain [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 1916)]; and Ellingwood Peak [1 woman--Mary Cronin--along with 1 man: Carl Blaurock (September 1937).]

Surely the answer is five. You forgot Challenger - that's the trouble with trusting sources.

Extra credit: can any source confirm that Ellingwood et al did actually top Challenger on their way to Kit Carson? Or if not, when is the first "recorded" ascent of Challenger?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby 14erFred » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:24 pm

An excellent observation, Jason! Davis, Rogers, Ellingwood, and Deutschbein climbed Kit Carson via its Northwest Ridge in July 1916, and thus must have crossed over the top of Challenger on the way to the summit of KC. I strongly suspect that no earlier verified ascent of Challenger exists. So, it seems that women were involved in the first recorded ascent of at least five Colorado 14ers...a nice piece of deductive reasoning on your part.

PreviousNext