Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jesse M » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:07 pm

How about this one: which 14er has the shortest average distance from all other 14ers? Which has the longest? And for extra credit, what is the distance between these two peaks?

Just a guess;
Shortest: Shavano
Longest: Pikes

Postby TravelingMatt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm

ChrisinAZ wrote:How about this one: which 14er has the shortest average distance from all other 14ers? Which has the longest? And for extra credit, what is the distance between these two peaks?

I took Bill's mileage chart and converted it to a spreadsheet to calculate this. So any calculations have the limitations that the distances are given to the nearest mile, and 14ers separated by less than a mile are considered to have a distance of zero.

The answer depends on whether you're calculating the straight linear sums or the sums of squares. (Answers are hidden by white text.)

Using linear sums, the most central 14er is Yale and the least is Culebra.
Using sum of squares, the most central 14er is Shavano and the least is Longs.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Ellingwood and Davis did first ascents of the South and Middle Tetons in 1923.

They did South Teton together, but Ellingwood soloed Middle Teton (the same day).
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby 14erFred » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:24 pm

14er trivia question: On how many Colorado 14ers were women part of the team who made the first recorded ascent?
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby 14erFred » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 am

14erFred wrote:14er trivia question: On how many Colorado 14ers were women part of the team who made the first recorded ascent?

Answer: Women were part of the team who made the first recorded ascent of four Colorado 14ers. These four 14ers are: Crestone Peak [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 24, 1916) ]; Crestone Needle [1 woman-- Eleanor Davis--along with 1 man: Albert Ellingwood (July 24, 1916)]; Kit Carson Mountain [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 1916)]; and Ellingwood Peak [1 woman--Mary Cronin--along with 1 man: Carl Blaurock (September 1937).]

Sources: Hart, J.L.J. (1977). Fourteen thousand feet: A history of the naming and early ascents of the high Colorado peaks (Second Edition). Denver, CO: The Colorado Mountain Club. Bueler, W.M. (1986). Roof of the rockies: A history of Colorado Mountaineering. Evergreen, CO: Cordillera Press.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:59 am

14erFred wrote:
14erFred wrote:14er trivia question: On how many Colorado 14ers were women part of the team who made the first recorded ascent?

Answer: Women were part of the team who made the first recorded ascent of four Colorado 14ers. These four 14ers are: Crestone Peak [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 24, 1916) ]; Crestone Needle [1 woman-- Eleanor Davis--along with 1 man: Albert Ellingwood (July 24, 1916)]; Kit Carson Mountain [2 women--Eleanor Davis & Frances Rogers--along with 2 men: Albert Ellingwood & Joe Deutschbein (July 1916)]; and Ellingwood Peak [1 woman--Mary Cronin--along with 1 man: Carl Blaurock (September 1937).]

Sources: Hart, J.L.J. (1977). Fourteen thousand feet: A history of the naming and early ascents of the high Colorado peaks (Second Edition). Denver, CO: The Colorado Mountain Club. Bueler, W.M. (1986). Roof of the rockies: A history of Colorado Mountaineering. Evergreen, CO: Cordillera Press.

Praise for citing the sources.

Question: Isn't Ellingwood Peak in Wyoming? A 13er?

If you meant Ellingwood Point, how could that be done after Crestone Needle when the Needle was supposed to be the last of the Colorado 14er FA's?

Postby 14erFred » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
14erFred wrote:Question: Isn't Ellingwood Peak in Wyoming? A 13er?

Ooops -- you're correct. I meant "Ellingwood Point."
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
14erFred wrote:If you meant Ellingwood Point, how could that be done after Crestone Needle when the Needle was supposed to be the last of the Colorado 14er FA's?

According to Bueler (1986) in The Roof of the Rockies, the first recorded ascensionists--Blaurock & Cronin--found three cairns on the summit of Ellingwood Point in 1937. Thus, earlier miners are credited with the mountain's first ascent (prior to the 1916 ascent of Crestone Needle), whereas Blaurock and Cronin are credited with the first recorded ascent.

Postby Tornadoman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:12 pm

This has been a very interested thread so far. Since we have been discussing last recorded ascents, I was thinking about the other side of the coin. Does anyone know when and which 14er has the FIRST recorded 14er ascent?

Postby ChrisinAZ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

TravelingMatt got it by the way I measured (linear sums), as well as a way I hadn't considered (sum of squares). Your answer fits with the latter.

Fletch wrote:
ChrisinAZ wrote:TravelingMatt has it right--I checked through different means (Google earth).

How about this one: which 14er has the shortest average distance from all other 14ers? Which has the longest? And for extra credit, what is the distance between these two peaks?

Shavano (shortest) and Longs (longest)?
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Tornadoman wrote:This has been a very interested thread so far. Since we have been discussing last recorded ascents, I was thinking about the other side of the coin. Does anyone know when and which 14er has the FIRST recorded 14er ascent?

No one knows for sure - stories exist from older American Indian lore that had elder tribal members using the summit of Longs Peak to construct a eagle-catching platform by which they would hide in a rock pile that had a dead coyote or other animal on it; when the eagle would swoop down to get it they'd clutch the eagle. This was supposed to be taking place in the early and mid-19th century, long long before the first Hayden groups summited peaks, and other people summited. No one knows for sure in many of the ranges - did unknown miners and trappers climb any of the Sawatch or San Juans while they were working the mines below the peaks?

I don't believe this question will get a real, proper, answer.
Only SUN will melt the sadness.

Postby Jesse M » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Really neat thread, I keep learning new stuff! I never heard the eagle catching story, way cool!!

Here's another easy one:
What is the only 14er to have a successful air-craft landing on the summit?

Postby Scuba Steve » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:03 pm

MntOwl wrote:Really neat thread, I keep learning new stuff! I never heard the eagle catching story, way cool!!

Here's another easy one:
What is the only 14er to have a successful air-craft landing on the summit?

That one's easy....Sherman.

PreviousNext