Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
User avatar
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby rijaca » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Yes to all accounts! He was a painter. He named it Mount Rosa or Rosalie, not sure which.


Rosalie.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Are there more 14ers east of the Continental Divide, or west? Show your work as succinctly as possible. Ignore Grays and Torreys.

What are the highest 13ers whose massifs are entirely east and entirely west of the Divide? Note several centennials (including Grizzly A) lie on the Divide and thus don't count.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

User avatar
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby rijaca » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:44 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:What are the highest 13ers whose massifs are entirely east and entirely west of the Divide? Note several centennials (including Grizzly A) lie on the Divide and thus don't count.


Stewart (13,983') is west of the divide. Columbia Pt (13,980') is east of the divide.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm

rijaca wrote:Stewart (13,983') is west of the divide. Columbia Pt (13,980') is east of the divide.


Yup.

What centennial's summit comes closest to the Divide without being actually on it?
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

User avatar
Posts: 7372
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:52 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Are there more 14ers east of the Continental Divide, or west? Show your work as succinctly as possible. Ignore Grays and Torreys.

Lemme see, about 14 Sawatches, 9 Sangres, 4 Mosquitos, 4 Front Range are east....that should be enough.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:Are there more 14ers east of the Continental Divide, or west? Show your work as succinctly as possible. Ignore Grays and Torreys.

Lemme see, about 14 Sawatches, 9 Sangres, 4 Mosquitos, 4 Front Range are east....that should be enough.



I count 10 Sangres including both Challenger and Culebra, but that's still the kind of answer I was shooting for. :)
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

User avatar
Posts: 7372
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:44 am

Hey, I said "about". :) I forgot Lindsey when I counted them...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

User avatar
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 pm
Location: McKenzie County ND and Desert Hills AZ

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:54 am

TravelingMatt wrote:
rijaca wrote:Stewart (13,983') is west of the divide. Columbia Pt (13,980') is east of the divide.


Yup.

What centennial's summit comes closest to the Divide without being actually on it?


Tough one. I'll throw in Silverheels - saddled to the Divide at Hoosier Rige.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:02 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:
rijaca wrote:Stewart (13,983') is west of the divide. Columbia Pt (13,980') is east of the divide.


Yup.

What centennial's summit comes closest to the Divide without being actually on it?


Tough one. I'll throw in Silverheels - saddled to the Divide at Hoosier Rige.


I'd say Edwards. Grays is on the divide.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12 am

Neither Silverheels nor Edwards is correct. Edwards is on the Divide.

Before someone says Traver, I was considering only ranked peaks. You have to have some sort of prominence threshold, otherwise you could just say it's the top of some rock near the summit of Elbert.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

User avatar
Posts: 2317
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby rijaca » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:14 am

What centennial's summit comes closest to the Divide without being actually on it?

Ouray. Marshall Pass is on the CD.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Online
User avatar
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Dillon

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 am

It's not Ouray, but you have the right idea.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests