Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trivia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: 14er Trivia

Postby Floyd » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

sgladbach wrote:Additional question: How many have died on Capitol? How many of those were falls off the Knife edge?

I'll say 0 falls from the infamous knife edge. I can only think of 1 fatality recently from a fall on Capitol. Olymipic (Swimming?) Coach from the Springs a couple of years ago. No idea at what history may hold in store for numbers though.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:02 pm

From memory, I think LoJ mentions one fall from the knife edge in the 1950's. I can remember hearing of three other deaths on Capitol: one fall below the summit, one fall near K2, and a lightning strike on the summit.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby gdthomas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:18 pm

All of the Sangre De Cristos, except Culebra, have recorded at least one death. I haven't been able to confirm or deny deaths on Culebra.

Postby roguejackalope » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm

gdthomas wrote:All of the Sangre De Cristos, except Culebra, have recorded at least one death. I haven't been able to confirm or deny deaths on Culebra.

All including at least one from a fall?
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Jesse M » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:27 pm

My guess for most deadly 14er is South Maroon.

Postby gdthomas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 pm

roguejackalope wrote:
gdthomas wrote:All of the Sangre De Cristos, except Culebra, have recorded at least one death. I haven't been able to confirm or deny deaths on Culebra.

All including at least one from a fall?

The Challenger death was apparently caused by lightning.

Postby kyriestone » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Floyd wrote:
sgladbach wrote:Additional question: How many have died on Capitol? How many of those were falls off the Knife edge?

I'll say 0 falls from the infamous knife edge. I can only think of 1 fatality recently from a fall on Capitol. Olymipic (Swimming?) Coach from the Springs a couple of years ago. No idea at what history may hold in store for numbers though.

Not sure about total on Capitol, but I'm pretty sure the number off of the Knife Edge is 2.

Postby sgladbach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Most deaths on a peak from falls:
Long's (no contest.) Roughly 35 deaths from falls alone. Note: The first time I ascended Long's I happened upon a climber who had passed away the day before from a fall on the homestretch. Though campers at the Boulderfield had been told there would be an early evacuation, my partner and I were summiting around 6:30AM and stumbled across him. No one else came up for over two hours. As I went to check him for ID, I found evidence that he had been worked on by medical personell and became aware that someone knew he was there. As I summited, a helicopter landed next to me and a ranger came up to me and asked, " Have you seen anything........hmmmmm.......Unusual?"

Deaths on every peak in a range : Crappy Question , Sorry!
I was going for Sangre de Christos. However, I was thinking of Culebra as part of a "Culebra Range" rather than the "Culebra Group." Also, I was considering the death of Douglas Beach (who fell to his death down Kirk's Couloir) as a death on Challenger, but it seems more sources are calling it a death on Kit Carson. Either way, a few years ago an SNR professional told me that, at that time, the Custer County SNR has a higher body recovery to mobilizations ratio than any county in the state.

August 9, 1992 : Ronald Palmer suffered a fatal fall 1,000 down the West Face while traversing the Knife Edge.
August 19, 1997: Derick Eckstrom had a fatal fall 1,100 feet down the East side of the Knife Edge when a handhold came loose.

To end the topic: There has been a 14er death by gunshot. On August 28, 1889 a teenage boy (surname Stryker) stumbled on the Long's peak homestretch and the loaded handgun in his pocket discharged, striking him in the neck. He bled to death while his father, two uncles, and guide Carlyle Lamb looked on. They may have been armed for a myriad of reasons, but it is known that his party fired their weapons into the air while celebrating their sucessful summit.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

More trivia:

Of what mountain is Albert Bierstadt credited for having made the first recorded ascent? Extra credit: What did Bierstadt do for a living?
Super extra credit: What name did Bierstadt first give the mountain?

Postby TheOtherIndian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Is that Mt. Evans?? And he gave it his wife's name? (which I dont remember) And this might be wrong, was he a cartographer or something?
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby colorado yooper » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Bierstadt was a painter. Tended to over dramatisize things a bit to sell the romantic appeal of the west to those out east.
To the High Crags!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Yes to all accounts! He was a painter. He named it Mount Rosa or Rosalie, not sure which. Come to think of it (no pun intended) that does have connotations, doesn't it.

The name was changed to Evans in 1895, I believe, in honor of Colorado governor John Evans.

PreviousNext