5th Great Traverse Proposal

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

5th Great Traverse Proposal

Post by stevevets689 »

As a climber who has at least completed the Little Bear-Blanca traverse, I propose that we add a 5th Great Traverse.

This route is, of course, the Mt. Harvard to Mt. Columbia traverse, and I don't even care if you actually do the ridge or traverse lower. This route took my girlfriend and I more than 5 hours to get from one peak to the other. The house-sized boulders and committing nature of the route makes it into a very grand proposition indeed.

It's not like we're slow, either. We started at 4:00AM from a camp near the turn-off to Columbia's standard route and were on Harvard's summit before 7. With good weather and energy, we started on the traverse. Hours later, we found ourselves descending Columbia in a thunder/hail storm. I felt my eyebrows stand up moments before a lightning strike.

Obviously, I jest about this actually being a grand traverse, but I wish to warn any soul who might look down on this route as "just a class 2 peak-to-peak hike" that it's really an adventure. I can at least say that I was much more afraid for my life on this route than I was on LB-Blanca.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Re: 5th Great Traverse Proposal

Post by sgladbach »

stevevets689 wrote: This route took my girlfriend and I more than 5 hours to get from one peak to the other.
What did you stop to do along the way? :wink: That may be your problem.

Steve (spelled forwards!)
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

It's a long one, alright - we had to drop down into the lower bowl because of ice/snow, and ended up missing Columbia by 150 vertical feet due to incoming weather. Sigh.
shelly o
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 27 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shelly o »

I think that by "Mt. Columbia," you actually meant "Bastard Peak" [-(
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'm glad we're not the only ones that took 5 hours on that traverse. I still don't know where the time went, we must have fallen asleep during lunch.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

How is Capitol-Snowmass not on the list?
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Because almost nobody does it. There's also Massive-Shavano (i.e. Nolan's 14), which at least has had a number of documented finishers.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

shelly o wrote:I think that by "Mt. Columbia," you actually meant "Bastard Peak" [-(
Yeah, I believe one requirement for a "great 14er traverse" is that both peaks be nonsucky.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

TravelingMatt wrote:
shelly o wrote:I think that by "Mt. Columbia," you actually meant "Bastard Peak" [-(
Yeah, I believe one requirement for a "great 14er traverse" is that both peaks be nonsucky.
Good point.
Oh and shello o, how are things in Toronto? :P
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
shelly o
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 27 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shelly o »

TravelingMatt wrote:
Indeed. Harvard is a lovely little excursion. Columbia is a big pile of rock vomit.

And Toronto is great, stevevets689! Ha, you caught me.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

Bean wrote:How is Capitol-Snowmass not on the list?
mad props to anybody that can complete both the summits of capital/snowmass while staying on the whole ridge proper in a day...i bet this has only been done a handful of times
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Someone recently explained to me that for the traverse to be named "great", the easiest route across has to be at least class 3. Columbia -Harvard do not fit the description. Otherwise, a fine route indeed.