5th Great Traverse Proposal

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jimmtman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: 5th Great Traverse Proposal

Post by jimmtman »

I don't feel so slow now. The H/C traverse took me 3 hr and 15 min which I thought was slow since this site said that the traverse takes "at least a couple of hours". Since it took more than 2 hrs I thought I was lame (maybe I still am). Perhaps the site overview should be changed to reflect that it can take much longer than 2 hours. I really think it would be faster to drop down out of the talus entirely and go up the grassy slope on Columbia - more vertical but likely less overall work and faster. That would make it a Class 1+ traverse.

Jim
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

benners wrote:
tmathews wrote:Any 13er traverses that satisfy this criteria? I would love to do some more scrambling.
There are many. Check out Dave Cooper's 50 Classic Scrambles book for a few ideas...

A few good ones that come to mind are:

Milwaukee to Pico Asilado
The Grand Traverse in the Gores
Partners Traverse
Arapahoe Traverse
Tijeras to Music
Pagoda to Chiefs Head
McHenry's to Powell
The Trinity Traverse
Apache to Navajo
Nice list!
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jesseclark
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesseclark »

Were you up there this past Sunday? We only did Harvard, but on our decent, it started raining, hailing and lightning as well!
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Yep, Sunday it was. If I ever have enough time I might write a report on it. We were easily the first to the top of Harvard, we missed sunrise on the summit by a half hour. So if you saw us, it was coming off Columbia or hiking out. We didn't get back to the car until after 7pm!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
tommyboy360
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (7)

Post by tommyboy360 »

stevevets689 wrote:Yep, Sunday it was. If I ever have enough time I might write a report on it. We were easily the first to the top of Harvard, we missed sunrise on the summit by a half hour. So if you saw us, it was coming off Columbia or hiking out. We didn't get back to the car until after 7pm!
Geeez, that is a long day for that traverse. Congrats on getting it done and sharing the lesson with the forum. I also just wanted to say +1 on your tag line at the bottom of your signature. That just made my day.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”
jesseclark
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesseclark »

stevevets689 wrote:Yep, Sunday it was. If I ever have enough time I might write a report on it. We were easily the first to the top of Harvard, we missed sunrise on the summit by a half hour. So if you saw us, it was coming off Columbia or hiking out. We didn't get back to the car until after 7pm!
Holy Cow! We started at 6am, my friends summited Harvard at 11ish (I made it to about 14,040 before quitting due to exhaustion!) and then basically ran back and got to the car at 2pm. We heard cracks of thunder above us as we were heading towards treeline. Luckily, not too many of the bolts hit the ground!
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Long day indeed! Yeah I was noticing that the lightning was mostly cloud-to-cloud, which made me a LITTLE more comfortable.

lol When your friend got to the top of Harvard, we were just nearing the end of the boulders on the way to Columbia, which has now taken my number one least favorite 14er spot (just under Sherman)
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jesseclark
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jesseclark »

stevevets689 wrote:Long day indeed! Yeah I was noticing that the lightning was mostly cloud-to-cloud, which made me a LITTLE more comfortable.

lol When your friend got to the top of Harvard, we were just nearing the end of the boulders on the way to Columbia, which has now taken my number one least favorite 14er spot (just under Sherman)
Yikes! We were originally planning on hiking only Columbia, but after seeing this trip report: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; we decided that Harvard might be better!

Glad ya made it down safely!
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

I just checked my times... Took us a total of just over 14 hours total. We spent almost 6 on the traverse... though that was largely due to snow conditions and having a Texan with us who'd never seen snow before. Ended up getting back at about 9:15 pm. If nothing else, we got this great view from near the summit of Columbia:
IMG_3756 (800x600).jpg
IMG_3756 (800x600).jpg (237.99 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
castricone7
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by castricone7 »

We just did Snowmass Peak-Hagerman-Snowmass Mountain traverse from Trail Rdier Pass and had planned to continue across to Capitol and hike out in a giant loop. Whiteout conditions and our general malaise for the ridge changed that...but that is a badass ridge nonetheless. By the way, we did this as a loop from the Snowmass Creek TH in 25.5 hours (including missing the cutoff for the trailhead at 1 am and hiking in the wrong direction for 2 miles!). Marathon length. Peace.
castricone7
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by castricone7 »

We just did Snowmass Peak-Hagerman-Snowmass Mountain traverse from Trail Rider Pass and had planned to continue across to Capitol and hike out in a giant loop. Whiteout conditions and our general malaise for the ridge changed that...but that is a badass ridge nonetheless. By the way, we did this as a loop from the Snowmass Creek TH in 25.5 hours (including missing the cutoff for the trailhead at 1 am and hiking in the wrong direction for 2 miles!). Marathon length. Peace.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Just checked my notes out of curiosity. Looks like it took me 4 hours from Harvard to Columbia. I started on the ridge but then dropped down, but not all the way. I remember it being exceedingly unpleasant. I was sure it would have been better to drop all the way down or stay much closer to the ridge. I ended up being on a lot of steep loose slopes. I was solo so I got off the ridge when I got to a downclimb that I couldn't see below and didn't want to take a chance on being cliffed out. Next time I'll try staying closer to the ridge proper.
Last edited by unclegar on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz