Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Village Idiots on the Mt. Princeton Rd.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Village Idiots on the Mt. Princeton Rd.

Postby roguejackalope » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm a little disappointed that both of those cars have Colorado tags. ](*,)
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby Scizzo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Built-to-Last wrote:While I am not commenting on the intellect of the drivers, the Astro Minivan can be a 4x4 vehicle.

Yeah, the minivan in the pictures had all-wheel-drive, so it didn't do too bad (despite bottoming out 15+ times). The Altima was a different story, by the time it got back to the beginning of the road there were parts visibly hanging out from underneath the car.

whoopi_cat wrote:Just the fact that this thread is in "mountaineering tales" is hilarious!!!!

Considering the fact that this was the closest these folks are likely to get to mountaineering, I thought it was appropriate to put this in "mountaineering tales." :wink:

Postby taylorzs » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> WOW, Thanks for sharing a good laugh like that.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby danb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 pm

A couple weeks ago on the road to Grays/Torreys there was clearly a spot on the road where a low clearance car had bottomed-out onto a rock, puncturing the oil pan, and there was the tell-tale streak stain of oil down the road presumably to where the engine seized-up.....about a quarter mile down. I'd say the Altima was a candidate for such an adventure!

Thanks for the giggles.

Postby whoopi_cat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:37 pm

scalba123 wrote:I believe that's the Texas Hook 'em Horns sign. [Which would explain a lot.]

Ah, yes...I see the wisdom of your analysis.

WC
"It is the only way to get to the universe; bet everything every single step forward."

- Wayne Hale, Jr. Flight Commander, Space Shuttle Columbia.

Postby Kiefer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

That was a good laugh. I love little antedotes, stories like this. They really lighten the mood up and show how people can be so.....entertaining.:)
I love it every spring watching people actually think they can drive up Stevens Gulch Road or to The Crags Trailhead and wonder why they got stuck!
Good stuff. Thanks for posting!

Postby XMULE » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm

roguejackalope wrote:
whoopi_cat wrote:Just the fact that this thread is in "mountaineering tales" is hilarious!!!!

+1.

I had a '93 Cavalier once that wanted so badly to be a 4WD. That could be a great thread: "The little 2WD that could (or couldn't)". Where have you taken your 2WD that probably wasn't the best idea ever? Hahaha.

Drove a Cavalier rental car to the top of Jones pass . . .
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

We used to say rental cars were the best off road vehicles in the world. But there's nothing like a Wrangler rental car for versatility, which is probably why they usually cost over a hundred dollars a day.

Postby jagfoot04 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:35 pm

I feel like I should add my stupidity to this story. On the evening of August 8th I went up to climb the next morning and made it to about within a quarter mile of the turnoff for the trail in my 98 ford ranger. Unfortunately my muffler and tailpipe broke off before I could reach the end and I had to park at one of the switchbacks before then and get my climbing partner to come down and help me out. I summited the next day but the repair cost me over $300. I'm staying off 4wd roads unless I have a decent off road vehicle for now on...
J Grote
Seminary Student

But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live. Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom. Only a person who risks is free. The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; and the realist adjusts the sails.(William Arthur Ward)

Postby Matt Lemke » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:53 am

roguejackalope wrote:

+1.

I had a '93 Cavalier once that wanted so badly to be a 4WD. That could be a great thread: "The little 2WD that could (or couldn't)". Where have you taken your 2WD that probably wasn't the best idea ever? Hahaha.

95 Subaru Legacy sedan of ours went up to the Crystal mill past the small town of Marble! Now I know this is an AWD car but it has merely a few inches of clearance.

This however is merely dwarfed in comparison to when we took it down the 30 mile Notom Bullfrog Road in Capitol Reef National Park...in March 2010 (that really snowy and wet winter in Utah you may all remember).
Add to this we were driving in an active blizzard, with a foot of snow already on the road...streams running across it...and the fact the road is CLAY!

Boy I would have paid big bucks to see the look on the face of the person who graded that road in May
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby Leigh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:95 Subaru Legacy sedan of ours went up to the Crystal mill past the small town of Marble! Now I know this is an AWD car but it has merely a few inches of clearance.

This thread reminded me of a note I saw on the door of the Marble General store - I wish I had taken a picture. Basically someone had signed in that they made it over Scofield Pass in a Volvo (or Saab?) from Crested Butte to Marble thanks to directions from Mapquest. Sure enough, when I got home, I looked up directions from Crested Butte to Marble and it takes you right over Scofield and through Crystal! #-o

Postby CoulKurt » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:06 pm

About ten years ago I was westbound over Weston pass about halfway down the west side. Now granted not the toughest 4wd road by any account. But around a corner comes an old Oldsmobile 4 door with a very confused elderly driver. He asks me if the road gets any easier. I tell him not really. He was really pissed because the new map he just bought showed the pass as a county road. Which of course it is. Any way we got him turned around and back safely down to 24. People been idiots on 4wd roads forever. Lets not even start counting how many people I pulled out of mud and snow over the years.
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis

PreviousNext