Strange molten metal found on Columbia

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Strange molten metal found on Columbia

Post by MonGoose »

Relatively speaking, how heavy are the pieces?

I agree that it appears to be molten metal instead of a naturally occurring mineral.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

I am no geologist but the cratering on the underside looks like the kind of pits you see in meteors from their entry through the atmosphere. I saw that on the Discovery channel so I really don't mean to imply that I know what I am talking about.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Ned-man
14ers: 51  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ned-man »

That is bizzare; I have seen several plane crash-sites but their aluminium looks nothing like that, the way the rock chunks are IN it I would say it was melted on the spot and cooled around the rocks. Do you have a pic of the piece you said looked "machined" and did not melt?
I could believe that it came down from orbit, aluminium is used a lot in space parts.
mountainmanny
14ers: 12 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainmanny »

i still say slag....

So here is a thread i started on another forum.... it will be figured out soon... http://www.mindat.org/mesg-11-230642.html
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

mountainmanny wrote:i still say slag....

So here is a thread i started on another forum.... it will be figured out soon... http://www.mindat.org/mesg-11-230642.html
yes, most likely scenario...
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

ajkagy wrote:

I agree, after seeing the big photos there is no way it could have melted around the rocks like that unless it was dumped as molten right there on the spot right?
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Various types of analytical reagents like perchlorates, combined with metal shavings in a metal container can be ignited and will melt all the metal during the combustion process. You can make explosives, fireworks or signaling devices this way.

You'd be left with a puddle of molten metal that would congeal around the area when it cooled. In some cases, the process can be one where some of the metal gets splashed around while it's burning.

Homemade pyrotechnics...
Last edited by highpilgrim on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
kbmiller
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbmiller »

Could be remains of an aluminum something that got struck by lightning.
Flux
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flux »

Could it have been a summit register can (aluminum) that got hit by lightning??

It's definitely aluminum though.

Having found a plane crashed behind Coney lake, I can also believe the "metal from the sky" theory.

Odd and very cool though.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Flux wrote:

I can also believe the "metal from the sky" theory.
Metal from the sky doesn't come down in liquid form and stay in a tight little puddle like that. It melted in place and then fuzed around the rocks it was on.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

crossfitter wrote:Are you sure it was a light metal and not iron? It sounds like someone could have been playing with thermite up there. Would explain the little metal splatters.
Thermite seems like a reasonable explanation, although the metal doesn't have to be iron. In fact, many thermite reactions utilize the oxidation of aluminum, titanium, and magnesium.
highpilgrim wrote:Various types of analytical reagents like perchlorates, combined with metal shavings in a metal container can be ignited and will melt all the metal during the combustion process. You can make explosives, fireworks or signaling devices this way.

You'd be left with a puddle of molten metal that would congeal around the area when it cooled. In some cases, the process can be one where some of the metal gets splashed around while it's burning.

Homemade pyrotechnics...
Yes - exactly!!!
ajkagy wrote:

My gut says no to slag. Slags are not usually crystalline but are more often very brittle glass phases, plus they often exhibit vibrant red and blue colors.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd