Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Finishing up on Little Bear - and a word of caution

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Finishing up on Little Bear - and a word of caution

Postby skypilot » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:41 pm

I’m happy to report that the 14er quest is now complete after successfully summiting Little Bear on July 2. Many thanks to the 14er.com community (and especially Bill!) for an incredible amount of helpful information that made this all possible. And special thanks to those of you I met on the trail. Whether it was an essential spot that got me past the crux on Mt. Wilson, an opportune bit of route finding on S. Maroon, or advice and encouragement on how to handle the intimidating knife edge and hourglass -- it was all essential in completing this multi-year quest. Each peak brought new challenges and new love for the Colorado mountains. Climbing 14ers is a great way to see the State, experience the exhilaration of a true physical test (>54 of them, actually!), and meet wonderful people along the way. To Steve on Wetterhorn and Capital; Doug on Little Bear; Amy and Cindiman on Castle; John the Springs policeman on Maroon; Phil and friends on Mt. Wilson; Ken and CMC friends on Snowmass; Aubrey and Jen on the Crestone Needle; Jamie on Torreys; and Harley, David, and Kevin who got me started – a special thanks to you for your company, advice, and inspiration.

Before signing off, I want to add a word of caution. When I traveled through Little Bear's hourglass on Saturday, the rope that was there was frayed in a couple places – and in one spot the gash went nearly half through! For a lot of people, a rope on this section is an important source of reassurance if not an essential means of getting up and down. But let me reiterate what others on this website have warned several times in the past – do not trust your life with an old rope – especially this one that I can confirm is not in good shape. Although I did use it (even after finding the gash), I did so in an extremely limited way. I never put much weight on the rope and instead used it primarily as an additional point of contact. I encourage those that follow through this treacherous stretch to do the same – or to not use it at all. I know now that I didn’t really need the rope – but it sure helped psychologically knowing it was there.

Good luck to all of you would-be finishers, and remember: it's not the destination, it's the journey! Enjoy and be safe!

Re: Finishing up on Little Bear - and a word of caution

Postby bailey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Congrats to you!! What an accomplishment!!

Postby hansolo35 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Nice summation on the completion of your quest. Congrats on finishing a worthy project

Postby 14erFred » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Way to go, Skypilot! An awesome alpine achievement, and some sage advice to boot! You're a class act! =D>
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:48 am

From one recent finisher to another -- congrats!

Postby big_red_pride » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:20 am

Congrats!

Postby gdthomas » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 am

Congratulations! But I must admit, I was intrigued by the title of this post "Fishing up on Little Bear...". "This ought to be good", I thought. Turns out my contact lenses were deceiving me.

Postby I fall a lot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:32 am

Congratulations!

(and I always dig it when finishers start their own thread instead of their friends, seriously! :D )

Postby DScott49 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 am

Congratulations on completing this part of the journey! Very much appreciate the motivation you, tmathews and others continue to give on this site. Great job!

Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave

"Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach the top. Then you will see how low it was." Dag Hammarskjold
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way." Dr. Seuss

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:45 am

Congrats on finishing!

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 am

Congrats! Great Accomplishment! SJ Ron

Postby gonzalj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 am

Way to go skypilot Hopefully someday I'll acheive the same goal.

Next