Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another 14ers Finisher - Wyo_MtnMan!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby AzScott » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I swear to god...I hate you guys David, since when did subtle angles ever catch your eye? :lol:

So when I climbed Castle with my mom and dad, we were eyeing Conundrum but reluctantly turned back in the face of an electrical storm.

The Daves took one look at my list and have had a field day with it ever since. Ironically, someone I met on the descent of Castle had climbed Conundrum and was grumbling something about "Why bother? It doesn't even count." And of course it counts as a mountain! But hey, when I set out to do the 14ers, I had 55 on the list. I've done those 55 14ers (actually 57, according to Bill's list). Conundrum wasn't one of them.

And you know what the funniest part about CODave's picture is? 24-0! :lol:
If I wasn't so poor, I'd have made one of those print-outs with a Wyoming logo on it for Humphreys' summit with my non-existant color printer!

P.S.

Thanks HikingMike! And KYClimber, yeah, save Aeolus for the end. Beware though - if you don't climb North Eolus (also unofficial), these guys will move in like vultures! :wink: [/quote]

Postby Hiking Mike » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:53 pm

sunshine1 wrote:
Hiking Mike wrote:Way to be, Wyo_Mtnman. :) Congrats and kudos.

But he didn't finish...or did he? I think this one is up for the jury. :) I know I'm curious.

Anyway, I thought there were <b>54</b> 14'ers? So does doing <b>53</b> count as actually finishing regardless of whether he is in AZ or not? Just playing around but I guess Conundrum doesn't count for everyone now? ;) Or is WyoMtnMan the exception to the rule?

Conundrum is one of the ambiguous cases. If you're going to count every feature over 14K, I think there are something like 58. As far as I'm concerned, he made it in my book. Some people have rules for peaks having to dip a certain number of feet below the saddle of an adjacent feature (300) for it to be considered a fourteener, and those are the rules that I was told when I started. If you check the peaks list, it's not ranked for this reason. (I bet he'll pick up Conundrum without an issue soon enough, anyway.)

Good question, Sunshine. When I got started, I wondered why every time I asked hiking partners how many fourteeners there were, I recieved different answers. :)
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby AzScott » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Yeah, that seems to be where a lot of folks stand on Conundrum. Trust me, it's not like I didn't want to climb the thing. But here's how the decision went:

The weights of the following factors went like this,

Lighting/driving rain > Conundrum's summit

Hey, now I have a reason to go back. Word on the street is that the Conundrum Hot Springs are worth the trip. Happy time! And HikingMike, you're right, I better pick it up as soon as possible in order to alleviate the onslaught of crap from Dave Sqared!

Postby sunshine1 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Thats what they all say Wyo! ;)

Wyo_MtnMan wrote:Yeah, that seems to be where a lot of folks stand on Conundrum. Trust me, it's not like I didn't want to climb the thing. But here's how the decision went:

The weights of the following factors went like this,

Lighting/driving rain > Conundrum's summit

Hey, now I have a reason to go back. Word on the street is that the Conundrum Hot Springs are worth the trip. Happy time! And HikingMike, you're right, I better pick it up as soon as possible in order to alleviate the onslaught of crap from Dave Sqared!
Who is John Galt?

Postby AzScott » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 pm

Damn, Sunshine figured me out! I have a confession to make: after a successful jihad of Castle, I was so intimidated by the impressive and intimidating bulk of Conundrum Peak that I had had no choice to but retreat or face certain doom!
The Maroon Bells are mere bumps on the horizon compared to mighty Conundrum. Retreating before the mighty mountain was the honorable thing to do :wink:

Postby roozers42 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 pm

There is no doubt that Wyo completed the 14ers...the photo speaks for itself.

Postby TalusMonkey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:35 am

Great photo, Jen! I forgot about the Greek God poses on Aeolus! Awesome draw from the archives!

Nice pose Wyo_MtnMan! You look like an Olympian...

"I see PRIDE...
I see POWER...
I see a BAD ASS MUTHA, WHO AIN'T GONNA TAKE NO CRAP OFF OF NOBODY!"
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby AzScott » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:51 am

Ah, I was wondering what happened to that picture! Thanks, Jen! The pose was appropriate since we were on top of the greek god of wind. I must admit, though, it is nothing compared to holding a plastic bottle of Captain while striking the pose on the Sunlight summit block.

Postby sunshine1 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:39 pm

Who is John Galt?

Previous