Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another 14ers Finisher - Wyo_MtnMan!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:55 pm

how much climbing have you done up here?

Not as much as I should. :( I've done quite a few peaks in the Windrivers, Tetons, and some in the Yellowstone area, but not that many.

For the past few years I've only been able to get time off in winter, except for weekends (most higher peaks in WY are multi day trips), and winter in the WY mountains is much harsher than CO (mostly due to the long approach distances required plus the difficulty of the peaks).

I haven't climbed anything in WY since my attempt on South Teton in December 2001, though this September I'm hoping to do the Grand Teton or Mount Owen if I can find a partner.

PS, good luck in AZ. It's not Phoenix is it? Man, that place is hot, and would be a huge change from Laramie. :wink:

Postby AzScott » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm

:) Phoenix, it is. I'm starting grad school at ASU, which is I guess actually in Tempe, but that's pretty much the same thing as Phoenix. There are more people that attend ASU than live in the city of Laramie :shock: Big changes ahead...

Wyoming does have some amazing mountain areas, but you're right, they're very remote. Access is very different to the high mountains here than in Colorado, which is certainly a double-edged sword. And yes, it's been well-documented that Wyoming's winters are pretty harsh. Though you do live in Craig, so you have a pretty good idea about harsh winters :wink:

It's too bad I won't be here in September because I'd totally take you up on that offer to do the Grand or Mount Owen :(

Postby TalusMonkey » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:52 am

Wyo_MtnMan,

I'm glad that things are going well for you at Arizona State. It was great to hang out with you in mid-November for Sedona and Humphreys. Looking forward to hiking with you and Tanya in late December.

Looking through my archives I found a photo of one of my favorite peaks. Conundrum offers a unique perspective of Castle Peak from which one can best appreciate the subtle lighting as viewed from the west.

This photo of myself, SarahT and Estelle on Conundrum, with Castle Peak in the background, was taken Labor Day weekend of 2005. From this perspective you can respect the ruggedness of Castle's north slopes. The coordinates of Conundrum are: 39º 00' 52" N, 106º 51' 50" W, if you are interested.

"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:20 am

LOL David! That's hilarious!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby swturner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:08 am

Okay, what am I missing? To semi-quote the warden in the Shawshank Repemption, "Am I being obtuse?" I've read TalusMonkey's post several times and I'm missing the hilarity. Clue me in!

Scott
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."--Bruce Springsteen

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:39 am

Scott.....you started the 14ers when you were 16.

I started them when I was 45.

You did several per year.

I'm planning to do one per year.

You finished before starting college.

At the planned rate I'll finish at age 99.

As my almost perfect twin, mirror image, climber, would you suggest I save Eolus for my last summit also???

Congratulations!

dkc
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:13 pm

swturner wrote:Okay, what am I missing? To semi-quote the warden in the Shawshank Repemption, "Am I being obtuse?" I've read TalusMonkey's post several times and I'm missing the hilarity. Clue me in!

Scott

swturner- Wyo_MtnMan 'finished' the 14ers this past summer, but the only one he is missing is Conundrum... so TalusMonkey and CODave keep giving him crap for it! That's why it's funny, to us at least!
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby swturner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:18 pm

GOT IT!! Now that you say that I think I recall TM mentioning that to me previously. Sounds like a little premature celebration on the part of Wyo MtnMan.
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."--Bruce Springsteen

Postby CODave » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:24 pm

TalusMonkey wrote: Looking through my archives I found a photo of one of my favorite peaks. Conundrum offers a unique perspective of Castle Peak from which one can best appreciate the subtle lighting as viewed from the west.

What a coincidence, I was just looking through my archives today as well and found this one:

Postby USAKeller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:59 pm

CODave!!! That is too funny for me! This whole subject makes me laugh.... hard!

Postby Hiking Mike » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:30 pm

Way to be, Wyo_Mtnman. :) Congrats and kudos.
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby sunshine1 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:32 pm

Hiking Mike wrote:Way to be, Wyo_Mtnman. :) Congrats and kudos.

But he didn't finish...or did he? I think this one is up for the jury. :) I know I'm curious.

Anyway, I thought there were <b>54</b> 14'ers? So does doing <b>53</b> count as actually finishing regardless of whether he is in AZ or not? Just playing around but I guess Conundrum doesn't count for everyone now? ;) Or is WyoMtnMan the exception to the rule?
Who is John Galt?

PreviousNext