Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another 14ers Finisher - Wyo_MtnMan!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Postby AzScott » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:20 am

Aubrey,

Thanks for the kind words. And how true they are. Really, the coolest thing about climbing all of the 14ers was getting to spend loads of time in the mountains in all different parts of the state! There's some really cool stuff up there, which is probably why we're all attracted to doing what we do.

I'll come back for sure, but I've probably got to figure out a way to change my screen name from "Wyo_MtnMan" to something more along the Arizona lines! And if any of you are interested in Grand Canyon or desert hikes down in that part of the country, let me know! I'll be more than glad to join you!

Thanks again to everybody (SarahT, husker01, swturner) and I hope we can all meet up again and climb some peaks in the future! Culebra reunion perhaps? :wink:

Scott

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am

And if any of you are interested in Grand Canyon or desert hikes down in that part of the country, let me know! I'll be more than glad to join you!

I love the GC. I am doing the Hance-Grandview Loop November 23-26.

Postby AzScott » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:52 am

Scott,

I just did that hike last Spring Break. Way cool loop hike! Though there was a foot of snow on the rim when we went, which made the top of the New Hance pretty exciting. If you want pics or route descriptions, I could definitely help out. I was thinking of going to Havasu Canyon sometime in the next year. Have you been there?

Postby elkheart22 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:03 am

Wyomtnman,

Congrats on your accomplishment......

:D
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Scott P » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:31 am

Though there was a foot of snow on the rim when we went, which made the top of the New Hance pretty exciting. If you want pics or route descriptions, I could definitely help out.

Yep, we're hoping for no snow. I should have done more research before getting my permit because I hear the route is a bear with snow. Normally, it might not matter, bu I'm taking my son with me, so I have to be more cautious. If there is snow, we may have to go all the way down the Grandview to Hance Rapid instead in a day (14 miles?) instead of the New Hance???? 14 miles in a day might be a bit tough on Kessler (and probably me too).

Anyway, yes some pics and route descriptions would be cool, and I could give you plenty in return. :D

I was thinking of going to Havasu Canyon sometime in the next year. Have you been there?

Nope. I actually haven't hiked a trail in the Grand Canyon since November of 1989. Since then, I have been to the GC many times and via many routes, but always off-trail rugged routes instead of trails. This November's Hance Grandview route will be the first actual trail I've been to in the Grand Canyon for 17 years, or over half my life ago. Now that I have kids, it's time to return to some of the trails, and Havasu is on the list for next year. I think our daughter should be ready by then, if not before.

Anyway, if you ever need beta on some really cool routes, just let me know. My favorite route reaches the bottom of the Grand partially by following a series of caves in the Redwall. Cool route. Flagstaff area has some good stuff as well outside the GC.

Finish

Postby kiliclimber7_17_02 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Way to go Scott. I finished on El Diente on July 14. Eolus was my 53rd and El Diente 54. Its a great feeling. Congratulations.[/img][/b]

Finish

Postby kiliclimber7_17_02 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Way to go Scott. I finished on El Diente on July 14. Eolus was my 53rd and El Diente 54. Its a great feeling. Congratulations.[/img][/b]

Postby popecf » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:12 am

Thanks for the recognition of Borat. Hopefully I can summit them all. Being in Ohio now it will take awhile. I just gotta say "Big Ups, and respect" on your accomplishment. Booyakasha!
"Wilderness is a place where the imprint of humans is substantially unnoticeable, where natural processes are the primary influencers and human activity is limited to primitive recreation and minimum tools."

Postby AzScott » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:41 am

Easy now, Respek, west side.

Good luck - it's tough trying to climb the 14ers from out of state, but at least Laramie (and Los Alamos, NM, I lived there before Laramie) are fairly close to Colorado, and both cities are at 7200', so that gave me an advantage. Ohio is a long haul! Good luck with it though.

kiliclimber, congrats to you, too! El Diente is a cool peak, too, not a bad one to finish with :wink: Did you save it for last on purpose, or was that just kind of the way the cards fell?

Booyakasha, popecf!

Postby Saleen S7 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:32 pm

Congrats! It must of been a heck of a feeling stepping on to the summit of Eolus.

Postby Scott P » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Good luck - it's tough trying to climb the 14ers from out of state, but at least Laramie (and Los Alamos, NM, I lived there before Laramie) are fairly close to Colorado, and both cities are at 7200', so that gave me an advantage.

Now, you should do all the 13'ers in Wyoming just for fun! :wink: There are 33 of them! :D

Postby AzScott » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:30 pm

Agreed, Scott, that would be a lot of fun! Problem is, I'm moving to AZ in a week...Gannett would sure be fun, among others in the Wind Rivers. how much climbing have you done up here?

PreviousNext