Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Horton the Quandary Dog Dies After a Full Climbing Life

Post by pbakwin »

I recall a climb & ski down Cristo with Horton. He had a knack for
stepping on the backs of your skis. That day reminded me of
climbing from Nido des Condores at 18,500' to the summit of
Aconcagua (22,841') with 3 dogs. The dogs had no food or water
for the entire ascent and return to Nido. And, of course no
double boots! When we got back to Nido they simply lay down
in the sun and took a nap. I wondered how many times those
dogs summitted the highest peak in the western & southern
hemispheres.
astrobassman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 191 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by astrobassman »

RIP Horton. Greenhouseguy - Thanks for posting that picture. That brought back good memories.
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

RIP Horton...it was a true pleasure to meet you. Damn, these stories always hit me harder than they should.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

I fall a lot wrote:RIP Horton...it was a true pleasure to meet you. Damn, these stories always hit me harder than they should.
My sentiments exactly...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
PhotoDave
Trip Reports (0)

FROM HORTON'S FAMILY

Post by PhotoDave »

From Horton’s Family…
Many thanks to all of you for sharing your Horton stories, pictures and videos. He was truly an original and we are so grateful for all the people who offered him companionship and sustenance on his adventures throughout the years. Because of YOU he will always be the Quandary Dog.

Horton was loved by his family, David, Emily and Elizabeth, and we miss him so much. He was getting old, but his death was a shock and surprise to us as he was only 10. He died 3 weeks before his 11th birthday. It’s true, all the hiking affected his health at the end. His muscles were getting stiff. His paws were tough and worn. He had frostbite on his nose and balls (ouch!) His eyes were bad from all the sun and snow glare. He died from a heart attack. But Horton was able to do want he wanted in life… hike Quandary, meet people, chase goats, and come home (almost) every night for dinner and love from his family.

We are planning to release his ashes at the summit sometime this summer. We will keep in touch about the date in case any of you want to join us for Horton’s final ascent. May his spirit live always in our hearts and on Quandary Peak.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: FROM HORTON'S FAMILY

Post by tmathews »

PhotoDave wrote:We are planning to release his ashes at the summit sometime this summer. We will keep in touch about the date in case any of you want to join us for Horton’s final ascent. May his spirit live always in our hearts and on Quandary Peak.
:cry:
goatgirl
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by goatgirl »

Oh no!!!!! I haven't been on here in ages and I come to see this first thing! I've climbed Quandary with Horton too and have told tons of people about him. He is sorely missed - what a wonderful climbing partner he was. I will definitely join a memorial ascent.
Last edited by goatgirl on Mon May 02, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jag trivs bäst i öppna landskap... Ulf Lundell
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

I'm sory I never had the privilege of meetimg Horton but it feels like I know him from all the wonderful memories posted here.
We are planning to release his ashes at the summit sometime this summer. We will keep in touch about the date in case any of you want to join us for Horton’s final ascent. May his spirit live always in our hearts and on Quandary Peak.
Please do! I'd love to attend.

I'd venture a guess that day could see the most ascents of Quandary Peak in a single day.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

PhotoDave wrote:From Horton’s Family…
Many thanks to all of you for sharing your Horton stories, pictures and videos. He was truly an original and we are so grateful for all the people who offered him companionship and sustenance on his adventures throughout the years. Because of YOU he will always be the Quandary Dog.
Thanks to you and your family for sharing Horton with us, and thanks also to Stewart for helping to tell his story and to Tim for posting it here. Horton led such a simple life, yet touched so many of our own.

What a dog. I met him once, but it was June and the sun was shining and the mountain was full, so he was busy sprinting up and down the peak, greeting all the hikers. He barely paused to say hello.

He liked to run and play. On good days, he accompanied the strong on their summit bids, but was always more interested in the hike - and the company - than getting the summit.

On tough days, he accompanied the weak, the lost, and the injured. He stuck by these strangers, comforting them, going for help, or leading them to safety.

And in the end, he took the time to pay his respects, wandering the neighborhood to say good-bye to all those close to him.

We could all take a page from the life of Horton the Quandary Dog.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

He liked to run and play. On good days, he accompanied the strong on their summit bids, but was always more interested in the hike - and the company - than getting the summit.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Horton, but in this I guess I'm a little like him. That spirit of mountaineering will continue to live on strongly inside of all of us. Having turned around so close to a summit this past weekend, I want to thank my partners, Sean and Abe, for placing the value of our lives over another check mark on a list.
daviddowns
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by daviddowns »

I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to add these pics from a winter attempt a few years ago. What a great dog!
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG (330.53 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (283.69 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (201.97 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
The Kingdom of Heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. Matthew 11:12
bguindon
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bguindon »

The new reply made me wonder if the petition or movement to have a sign for Horton at the trailhead is still in the works. Would love to see a marker for the greatest hiker on Quandary Peak. =D>