Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Have you ever experienced this???

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Have you ever experienced this???

Postby huffy13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 pm

When myself and RJ_Denver were on our way up to Humboldt, we were almost to the sign that directs you to Broken Hand Pass for the Needle and it was very chilly, probably about 30 degrees or so, it was about 5 AM. It was still chilly enough that we were keeping our layers on when suddenly the cold breeze that we had blowing against us got extremely warm...so warm, in fact, that we both shed our jackets and ended up ditching the long sleeves for about an hour. We were even starting to wish that we had brought shorts. Then just as suddenly as it had began, the breeze turned very cold again and we scrambled to get our layers back on because it was so quick of a change that we were sweating pretty good and that cold air got painful.

I was just curious if anyone here may have had this happen to them or if any of you may have a meteorological explanation.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Re: Have you ever experienced this???

Postby lurker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Same thing, same area on our way to Crestone Peak last fall hiking with AggieClimber and D14erEberle. I guessed at the time, it was sun/rock warmed air that was being pushed down onto us with the shifting winds. In hindsight, it seems a little early for sun warming.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir

Postby huffy13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:46 pm

That may be a possibility. It was just so wierd because it literally went from being downright cold to strip down to the skivvies warm in a matter of seconds. I haven't experienced that on any of our other hikes.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby crossfitter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Sounds possibly like a chinook wind? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby huffy13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:38 am

crossfitter wrote:Sounds possibly like a chinook wind? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

I guess it could be something along these lines. The only thing that differs, especially looking at that illustration and the definition, is that it mentions chinook winds being really strong. These winds we experienced were not even what I would call wind, more of a breeze, 10-15 mph at most. Besides that though, the chinook wind description does really sound a lot like that could have been it. I forgot to mention that we experienced this in late Sept. That may also play a role in what it could be.....but I am leaning toward the chinook thing for now...thanks!

Postby glacierPaul » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 am

coloradokevin & crew just experienced the opposite, see trip report on James Peak. Ahhh, Colorado weather, give it 5 minutes......
Have you ever experienced the 4 season day?

Postby huffy13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:45 am

glacierPaul wrote:coloradokevin & crew just experienced the opposite, see trip report on James Peak. Ahhh, Colorado weather, give it 5 minutes......
Have you ever experienced the 4 season day?

I did read that report a couple of days ago...but from what I gather the weather declined as the day went on and they got further into the hike. Our experience was that we had a cold breeze in our faces and literally in 2 seconds the breeze got so warm that we had removed all layers but our short sleeves and we were wishing for shorts. But after an hour or so, the breeze instantly got cold again. The wind never got any stronger during this warm spell, it just got warmer. It was strange. I will re-read coloradokevin's report though just to make sure I didn't miss something.

Postby livetothemax96 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 pm

It's a bit off topic, but we had a bit of a four season day early last summer in Denver. In the morning there was snow, really cold, then it warmed up into shorts weather, then it dumped some rain and cooled down. About an hour later it was warm sunny and dry again. To top it all off at about 3:00 we had a tornado just outside of town. Had a bit of everything in the same day.
whats life unless you live it?

Postby huffy13 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

livetothemax96 wrote:It's a bit off topic, but we had a bit of a four season day early last summer in Denver. In the morning there was snow, really cold, then it warmed up into shorts weather, then it dumped some rain and cooled down. About an hour later it was warm sunny and dry again. To top it all off at about 3:00 we had a tornado just outside of town. Had a bit of everything in the same day.

Yeah, we get a lot of that here in the panhandle. We like to think mother nature is bipolar. This occasion was just odd to both of us because the breeze was the only thing that was warm....and for a relatively short amount of time.