Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How not to ski big lines

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: How not to ski big lines

Postby tmathews » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:39 pm

hollamby wrote:I wonder why they locked the video to private...

Probably because it got so many hits, I imagine. I saw backcountry.com, Friends of CAIC, and Friends of Berthoud Pass link it.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm

hollamby wrote:I wonder why they locked the video to private...

Because Stefan suddenly realized how much money could be made off of it and that he should have never put it out in the public in the first place. Good thing that a forward thinking TGR maggot thought to get it on YouTube before he pulled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J924a0BypKM
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Doug Shaw » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:12 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:Because Stefan suddenly realized how much money could be made off of it and that he should have never put it out in the public in the first place.

Remember back when looking foolish would have been reason enough to keep it private? It would have been just a few years ago, but it feels like a lifetime.

[/curmudgeon]

Postby skiwall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Wow, watching that made me just a little sick to my stomach.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Here's the same thing in slow motion, from yet another maggot. He got his skis under him enough to hit two snowfields on the way down and jump the intervening rock bands. Wow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU3okOxtLH8
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Christ, that's like some kind of nightmare in slow motion! I think the initial visual trick here was the panning of the camera from the peak, you never see right down the line he falls. Not to say it is necessarily a skiable line but definitely has more snow.

My verdict would be that it is legit.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

rickinco123 wrote:Christ, that's like some kind of nightmare in slow motion! I think the initial visual trick here was the panning of the camera from the peak, you never see right down the line he falls. Not to say it is necessarily a skiable line but definitely has more snow.

My verdict would be that it is legit.

I am much more inclined to call it legit after it got pulled from Vimeo. If GoPro was looking to get an ad campaign to go viral they would never pull it like that.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby bigmac » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Gaper alert!
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Sir Edmund Hillary

I Immediately regret this decision.

Postby hollamby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Here's the same thing in slow motion, from yet another maggot. He got his skis under him enough to hit two snowfields on the way down and jump the intervening rock bands. Wow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU3okOxtLH8

Watching it like that makes it seem a lot more legit. He got his feet under himself more than i thought =D>

What a ride.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby FCSquid » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 am

That fall looks like child's play compared to launching off a 350-foot cliff at 40mph... by accident.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am

Oman wrote:For some reason this video bugs me. I looked at it again and came away convinced it's a viral ad.

It's at least a day old, but here's an update/more speculation: http://www.boingboing.net/2011/03/02/helmetcam-captures-s.html

Oh, and Conan has taken notice and provided an appropriately ridiculous parody. Skip to 12:15 in to see it.
http://video.teamcoco.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=245045
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby fleetmack » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Here's the same thing in slow motion, from yet another maggot. He got his skis under him enough to hit two snowfields on the way down and jump the intervening rock bands. Wow...

I read "maggot" and "rock band" in the same sentence. Got to throw in a Slipknot reference!! :YY

Keep rockin'
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

PreviousNext